Re: Disallowing custom namespaces

On 13-10-10 05:20 PM, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Marc Deslauriers
> <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would simply stop verifying them, but not force people to use a specific
>> namespace.
>>
>> AFAIK, other things that use a similar namespace approach don't actually verify
>> them either.
>

> That becomes awkward when somebody picks something like com.google.

I think this is a developer terms of use issue. We should simply add the
required legalese to the developer terms of use that the namespace selected must
be a domain they have permission to use, or else they fall back to the one we
provide.

Companies can then send trademark violation cease and desists, and we can simply
pull unauthorized namespaced apps from the store.

I suspect this probably won't happen enough to worry about it.

Marc.