Re: Disallowing custom namespaces

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Thomas Voß <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Marc Deslauriers
> <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 13-10-10 04:07 PM, Martin Albisetti wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It's been an exciting month in the click appstore. The contest really
>>> put all our assumptions to the test and had us on our feet fixing and
>>> improving things left and right.
>>> We still have a while to go, but things are looking smoother every day.
>>>
>>> One thing that became obvious very quickly was that verifying custom
>>> namespaces (com.yourdomain) is painful and hard to automate. It also
>>> adds little or no value to users and developers.
>>> I was wondering if we shouldn't just lock everyone into a
>>> com.ubuntu.developer.* namespace, and keep custom namespaces for
>>> specific exceptions (maybe for specific large companies and other
>>> special cases).
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this?
>>>

>> I would simply stop verifying them, but not force people to use a specific
>> namespace.
>>

> +1.
>
>> AFAIK, other things that use a similar namespace approach don't actually verify
>> them either.
>>

> Correct. As I understand it, namespacing is just a way to ensure
> unique naming in a way that is easy to understand and easily works
> together with check for (in)equality on a pure string level.

That makes sense to me, maybe with the condition that either (a) we
never present the namespace to users (do we present the fully
qualified package name?) or (b) it's clear to users that installing
com.google.gtalk-utouch doesn't mean it's from google (also hard?). Or
are those conditions not necessary?

Michael