Re: Defining new app categories

On 21/10/13 14:33, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> over the weekend I saw a bunch of webapps coming in and I thought that
> it might be worth rethinking our list of app categories again. Many of
> the current ones come from the world of traditional apps.
>
> Apps which fulfil tasks like "show me events in my city" or "show the me
> TV programme" or "show me how to get from A to B using public transport"
> or "give me my tech news" mostly just fit into "Accessories" right now,
> so browsing apps per category is not going to get very useful.
>
> Could we borrow a list of app categories from somewhere else? Was this
> discussed anywhere else up until now?
>
> Have a great day,
>  Daniel

I think the original list that is in use was selected by mvo based on
the debian categories imported into the archive.  I also think they are
possibly out dated.  However I also think they are still relevant.

TV stuff should land in multimedia, public transport make sense in
accessories, tech news would be net along with the rest of the interwebz
stuff.

It might be that on developer.ubuntu.com we add some info on what
Catergory do I add my app to.

The other thing we can do is look at ios store and play and see how
theirs are split.

--
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)