Re: Registering devices

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Martin Albisetti
<martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Evan Dandrea
> <evan.dandrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> sudo gdbus call -y -d com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences -o
>> /com/ubuntu/WhoopsiePreferences -m
>> com.ubuntu.WhoopsiePreferences.GetIdentifier
>

> Sounds good I think. 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is it available in Touch?
> 2) How to you deal with possible (but rare) duplicates?

In order to use that dbus call or libwhoopsie directly, we will need
to add some code to better identify ARM devices.

libwhoopsie first tries to identify a device using DMI or SMBIOS. I've
checked, and those are not available on my Nexus 4 and afaik they are
not available on ARM at all. (They are not available on my i7 desktop
motherboard either, btw, so I think this might be limited on non-ARM
too).
If DMI is not available it tries using the macaddress of the first
network device, skipping the loopback. I think this might be a problem
on converged devices with pluggable network devices and also as
mentioned above it might be a privacy issue.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~daisy-pluckers/whoopsie/trunk/view/head:/src/identifier.c#L152

cheers,
--
alecu