Re: Staging of click apps

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Martin Albisetti <
martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Alexander raised an interesting requirement on IRC, that I'd like to
> discuss a bit to figure out how to best implement it.
> Creating an image today is tied to being able to upload core apps to
> the store first, which creates a bit of a chicken-and-egg story for
> continuous integration. Lets fix this.
>
> Currently you can upload apps and not publish them directly. I think
> that's essentially "staging" them, what I believe we lack today is the
> ability to do some CI with unpublished apps.
>
> I can see others also wanting to be able to stage and test their apps,
> before they become public.
>
> So, what I understand we need to provide, as a minimum feature is:
> - A way to programatically upload and download apps, before they are
> published (or maybe even reviewed?)
> - A way to limit access to who can access these files for download
> - A way to programatically publish them once it passes all tests
>
> A few questions as well:
> - Can we use the same credentials as the user that uploads them?
> - Do we need to also provide all the data in click index, or just the
> ability to download a file you know the name beforehand?
> - Anything else?

We talked a little about this during one of the vUDS sessions, so I'm sure
developers like nik90 will have some requests. @balloons, do we have notes
about that?

What we imagined during our discussion was more directed towards improving
the beta testing of the apps. We wanted something like a different channel
where brave users of the phone could get earlier versions of the
applications they are willing to help.

So, the bullet points you make there look really nice, but it would be even
better if we think of a combination of automated tests and manual approval
in order to update the stable version of an app. And definitely, we will
like other people than the app developer to access these staging versions,
at least for the projects that are done by a community.

It's awesome you started working on this, thanks.
--
¡paz y baile!
http://one.ubuntu.com