Re: Hook for system components

On 06/27/2014 02:36 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> Currently we're putting the UI component of the Payments service into the Click
> Store. This shouldn't be something that a user installs, sees in a search or
> could possibly purchase. It is useful to have go through the same update
> mechanisms of have the other Click machinery associated with the store. What
> we've discussed is having a way for the Click store to identify "system
> components" much like it does scopes and applications so that it can filter them
> for the search.
>
> What I'm proposing for this is that we add a stanza as a "hook" that we don't
> actually implement on the client anywhere today. The hook name would be
> "system-component" and it would point to a JSON file that today, for this
> example would just have "type" and "pay-ui". This would allow us to add other
> metadata as needed in the future.
>
> Thoughts?

Put another way, you are saying that we have a "system-component" hook in the
manifest, like we do now for apparmor, desktop, etc. It is just that in this
case we don't really need to do anything else with it?

I think this makes sense, though you may have to implement a noop hook so click
doesn't error out.

I'll take a TODO to adjust the review tools for this if others agree to the idea.