Re: Making frameworks definitions available through a webservice

On 07/03/2014 05:26 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> as some discussions have pointed out previously, we currently have problems
> updating frameworks definitions, as (AFAIK) ubuntu-touch-meta, click,
> apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu and click-reviewers-tools have to be updated and be
> backported. Only this way can we allow reviewers and developers to sit on the
> latest LTS and write bleeding-edge code.

FTR, apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu doesn't have any dependency on a particular
framework. The data it ships is used by click-apparmor which does have a
dependency on framework definitions-- but it only cares about the framework
major version (eg ubuntu-sdk-14.10) and that only changes once per cycle (at the
beginning). For this the problems have much more to do with the system installed
apparmor since apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu requires certain version of apparmor to
support the new policy features and click-reviewers-tools (currently, but see
below) uses the system installed apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu.

Using a webservice would not really help with these, however, there is an open
TODO item to make the click-apparmor framework-to-policy-version mapping
configurable via a config file rather than hardcoded-- when we implement that,
we can take a look at generating the config file based on the webservice.

> After some discussions with Martin Albisetti and Michael Vogt, we thought it'd
> be a good idea to provide these framework definitions through a webservice (ie.
> myapps) and cache them locally. To implement this in click-reviewers-tools we
> came up with
>

> https://code.launchpad.net/~beuno/click-reviewers-tools/deprecate-14-10-dev1/+merge/224887
>

> Please have a look and see if this is acceptable and would work as a solution
> for other parts of our stack as well.

This seems fine for click-reviewers-tools. I have a TODO to update the
click-reviewers-tools to decouple them from the system installed
apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu (and click-apparmor) which along with this branch
should make the click-reviewers-tools installable on an LTS and usable without a
chroot.