Re: Supporting multiple frameworks with an app

As I recall we covered these use cases some time ago - see comments

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> in a discussion we had yesterday (https://www.youtube.com/
> watch?v=XDrm1OL-oVY), the topic of supporting multiple frameworks with an
> app came up.
>
> Consider the following use-cases:
>
>  - App com.happyhacker.app1 is successful. Everyone's using
>    framework-stable-1 is happy with it. A new API is introduced
>    in framework-dev-1 (which will become stable-2 one day).
>    Using this API would make app1 even more awesome.
>    How can our app developer stay sane in our developer story?

This requires creating a new version of the app tied to the new framework,
the old version will continue to be available for phones not yet upgraded.

Not sure where the store stands on supporting multiple versions of the same
app.

 - Core app com.ubuntu.app2 is great quality in stable-1 and
>    working fine on millions of phones. With development of
>    dev-1 starting, there are some things which need to be
>    refactored and new APIs to be used. How can we
>    support this "upgrade" use-case?

Again, two copies if I understand the question.

> There are a number of different angles to this.
>
>  1) Multiple bits in the store and the click scope
>  2) Platform API bits
>  3) Using APIs only when they're available(?)

We decided not to support multiple base framework versions in a single
click, mainly as the app_id corresponds to a single apparmor profile which
correlates with the framework level.

We do support specifying multiple frameworks but only in sensible
combinations using the same base. For example:
"frameworks": "ubuntu-sdk-14.04-qml, ubuntu-sdk-14.04-html"

 4) Supporting upgrades of phones(?)

Of course? The phone would get an upgrade. Because of our rules on not
breaking API, the old app works on the new upgraded phone.  Then a newer
version of the app which uses the new framework and apis is shown as
available. Again the store needs logic added to support the idea of
multiple versions of the same app.

I will defer to Beuno for more details.

Cheers
Pat