Supporting multiple frameworks with an app

Hello everybody,

in a discussion we had yesterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDrm1OL-oVY), the topic of supporting multiple frameworks with an app came up.

Consider the following use-cases:

 - App com.happyhacker.app1 is successful. Everyone's using
   framework-stable-1 is happy with it. A new API is introduced
   in framework-dev-1 (which will become stable-2 one day).
   Using this API would make app1 even more awesome.
   How can our app developer stay sane in our developer story?
 - Core app com.ubuntu.app2 is great quality in stable-1 and
   working fine on millions of phones. With development of
   dev-1 starting, there are some things which need to be
   refactored and new APIs to be used. How can we
   support this "upgrade" use-case?

There are a number of different angles to this.

 1) Multiple bits in the store and the click scope
 2) Platform API bits
 3) Using APIs only when they're available(?)
 4) Supporting upgrades of phones(?)

It'd be great if we could discuss this and figure out what our policy should be and which tools we can give developers to solve the use-cases mentioned above.

I can schedule a hangout on Ubuntu on Air. Who would be interested in discussing this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--