Re: Audio package bug trawl.

[CCing Rick, who may find this info useful]

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Brad Figg <brad.figg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you educate me on what all the source packages are that we care
> about?

Using the Ubuntu desktop seed as focus:

Primary tier:
alsa-driver/linux
alsa-lib *
alsa-plugins *
alsa-utils *
pulseaudio *

Secondary tier:
jack-audio-connection-kit *
libffado *
libsdl1.2
openal-soft *

Tertiary tier:
alsa-oss *
alsa-tools *

Those marked with an asterisk are in quite good shape for Lucid; I
don't anticipate any changes between now and Beta2Freeze on 1 April
(except the inevitable kitten-killer). alsa-lib has one annoyance
remaining, but it is a feature addition, requires upstream discussion
and coordination to fix, and is already documented in the
KarmicCaveats section of DebuggingSoundProblems.

libsdl1.2 has some nagging issues not in the sound layer but in input.
There probably will be a couple more uploads addressing them.

alsa-driver/linux, as usual, has the torrential downpour. Nearly all
of these can be categorized as hardware enablement. The significant
remainder is getting the fix for excessive wakeups in the pcm core
patched into ubuntu-lucid.git. It's already fixed in the
crack-of-the-day alsa-driver builds in ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev and only
affects a smallish (but non-trivial) portion of HDA users, so I'll ask
the reporters for feedback and get a request-pull posted as
appropriate.

-Dan