How to triag: Headphones not working

Folks,

As part of my learning all things audio I'm going to start
sending out emails to this group to gather best practices
in triaging different kinds of user issues. My plan is to
take these best practices and apply them to bugs that come
in as well as write them up into wiki pages.

To start things off I give you
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/548661

The user has run apport-collect and we have all the logs.
The user has also confirmed, and the logs reflect the same
that mute has been checked and everything seems ok.

You will note the bug reporters name :-) and my interest
in getting this fixed.

What are the next steps?

Brad
--