Re: Helping with the Ubuntu Audio Development Team

On 04/23/2010 08:47 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
Brad Figg wrote:

Yazen,

I do have some thoughts on that. First, I'd like all the audio pages
to be rooted at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio (so any new pages would
be http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/<new page>). Next, I'm going for specific,
one solution per wiki page write-ups. Ultimately, I'd like some kind
of intelligent, question and answer flow to help people help themselves
diagnose and resolve issues. Does that make sense or just rambling :-)?

Once we have the problems and tests and possible solutions written up
I'd like to code them up into scripts which users can easily run. These
will make small adjustments to their audio configuration and walk them
through testing if the adjustments fixed their issue or not.

Don't forget about "ubuntu-bug audio", which is trying to do just that,
i e check for common errors and inform the user about how to correct
them. In addition, if it does not find a common error, it allows the
user to file a bug accordingly.

It only does volume checks and some Pulseaudio-default-sink checks at
the moment, but I would like to enhance it as we figure out more common
errors (and I - or somebody else - has the time).

// David

I hadn't forgotten about it. However there is no reason that it can't use
the same scripts. If we're instructing users to run things, I don't think
we always want to say "run ubuntu-bug audio" for all problems. There will
be many times when we want to say "run microphone-mute-reset and see if
that fixes the current issue" as the response in a bug.

Brad
--
Brad Figg brad.figg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.canonical.com