State of userspace alsa in Maverick [Was: Re: Kernel Triage Summit Call for Experts]

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Jeremy Foshee
<jeremy.foshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> goal here is to provide either one or several classes to enable those
> triagers who are interested in audio bug triage to provide  a better
> class of bug to the developers while at the same time improving both
> their knowledge and our wiki documentation on the specific subsystem in
> the Kernel/ wiki namespace. A beneficial side-effect of this is that

I'm traveling without reliable Internet access at the moment, but it
looks like this morning's triaging q&a went swimmingly - great job,
folks!

There are a few things to wrap up in userspace alsa for 10.10, and I'm
working through them.  Here's a summary:

* alsactl init: I've pushed the necessary change for muted&zeroed
controls to the lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/alsa-utils/ubuntu.new/ branch.  We
still need to handle the case where the user /want/ sound muted on
startup.

* alsactl init: The above change needs the init db moved into a local
directory; `alsactl init' would be called from the udev script, which
means that the init db files need to be accessible.  Currently they're
shoved into /usr/share/alsa/init/, which may not be available.  We
could patch alsa-utils's alsactl{.1,_init.xml} and explicitly pass -i
to `alsactl init' in the udev script.

* alsa-lib: There are pending patches backported from git in the
lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/alsa-lib/ubuntu.new/ branch.

Recommendations are welcome.  I won't be uploading any changes pending
in bzr for a few days, so let's review.

Best,
-Dan

Follow ups