Re: Ubuntu-audio-dev meeting at 4th January, 11.00 UTC

Hi David,

Sorry David about Monday, I was still on Christmas leave.

On Jan 5, 2011 4:34 AM, "David Henningsson" <david.henningsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.henningsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote: > I wanted to brief you a little about that I'm currently working on rewriting PulseAudio's input mixer profiles, so the typical HDA laptop/desktop will actually work, and will fit with the volume control names in 2.6.38. I e, when you move the input meter in gnome-volume-control, it will combine e g "Front Mic Boost" and "Capture" to give the user the correct input volume.

Good work !
> I'm not sure that this is completely regression free (for very non-standard volume control names), and I'm also not sure whether it will be too invasive to go into upstream's stable-queue. That said, the benefits greatly outweighs the risks IMO.

We have to be a bit "fearless" now if we want things to work well in the next LTS. It sounds like just the right thing to do.

> Also there is my fighting-rewinds work which is under testing. So far I've heard four or five happy users (in the lp bug report), and one regression report (the latter from upstream), which hasn't come back with more details. There are three fixes in PA and two in GStreamer. (Btw, Daniel T Chen was talking about SRUing one of the GStreamer fixes into 10.10.)

Seemed like a nasty one alright.
> So, is anybody against putting these two projects into Natty, preferably by getting upstream inclusion, but until that is done, carrying the fixes as a delta?

Let me know how I can help to test. Working on  a Natty machine now.

Just an update on my progress, up until Christmas I was working with the MPRIS and Banshee guys to get playlists accepted and subsequently developed on both server and client (indicator) side. It looks as if Rhythmbox and Banshee will both support the MPRIS playlist extension before Alpha4. I have also completely reworked the player registration mechanism with the menu so it uses nothing but MPRIS and GSettings. No need for the previous libindicate dependency and the cache file in ~/.cache/indicators/sound/.
Will push a release (0.5.4) out today with all these changes.

Conor