Re: /sbin/alsa-utils, and other things

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) Mic input is muted on boot - this is not terrible IMO but I got it from
> the OEM folks who like things to work out of the box. I could probably fix
> this to just mute with the "nocap" option, without much work. That's the
> easy one.

This is resolved easily if we use alsactl init (vice our current
alsa-utils start hack). The caveat is handling the appearances of /usr
and /var, which is manageable using upstart's job syntax.

> 2) Asynchronous problem - as Lennart Poettering pointed out [1] this script
> is executed asynchronously so it is not guaranteed to have finished when
> PulseAudio discovers the card. PulseAudio might take these mixer changes as
> changes by the user, and preserve them. His version is to execute a mixer
> restore script both on udev rule and on the file system showing up (?),
> since we don't know which one will happen first [2].

We'd still want to use alsactl init for both those contexts.

> 3) Upstream has started their own solution with the stuff in
> /usr/share/alsa/init and so our solution is in conflict and we don't use
> upstream's version.

This is alsactl init.

> Btw, how do I coordinate this with Debian? We inherit this script from
> there, so this concerns them as well.

Ubuntu's use of upstart simplifies the migration tremendously. In
Debian we need to handle any variants of init systems, which I don't
necessarily see as problem. We need to look carefully at filesystem
locations of alsa-utils scripts, migration of said scripts, and job
syntax for those variants. Please coordinate with pkg-alsa (alioth)
and the maintainers of udev and the variants of init systems. A few of
us have commit access to both Ubuntu and Debian repos for alsa-related
packages, so this shouldn't be a blocker.

> * 1.0.24 is out and we plan to take it for Natty. I don't mind helping out,
> but again I'm a little unsure of how to coordinate with Debian - seems we
> sync/merge this from Debian and it would be stupid to double the effort?

Right, try to get 1.0.24 into Debian experimental, since it won't land
for Debian testing due to release timing. Merging from experimental
will then be relatively simple.

> * My pulse-mixer patch hasn't received much attention from upstream yet,
> although posted more than a week ago. Should I be bold and upload it to
> Natty?

Yes, please.

-Dan