Natty audio bugs

I think I've been pretty good with keeping up with the Natty distro bugs the last few weeks, but as the release came out (and all bug reports with it), and I'm about to go to conferences for two weeks starting tomorrow (first ASoC, then LAC, then UDS), that is about to change - and hopefully some of you can help out a little.

Anyway, here are the bugs that seem to affect more than just one or two people:

* Bug 771739 - If you have an Nvidia chipset, you might run into that "Internal Mic", "Front Mic" and a few more are missing in PulseAudio. This was a copy-paste error from my side. I've submitted it for SRU, hopefully the SRU team will deal with it soon.

* Bug 741825 - If you have a recent ATI chipset, in particular [1002:4383], you're in trouble. Jack sense and recording breaks intermittently on some machines and constantly on others. I've spent a lot of time on this one, but without any breakthrough. I'm suspecting the bug is in the chipset. As this happens also with machines Canonical wants to certify, we're trying to push things to happen behind the scenes as well, but progress is slow currently.

* I'm seeing more than one complaining about distorted sound with PulseAudio, and when I look in the logs, I find "Pool full" errors. See e g Bug 751265. Probably there is something in PulseAudio we should have a look at, but so far I haven't been able to replicate it (I admit I haven't tried very much yet).

* Oh, and then there's HDMI/Displayport. The basic problem is that there are several codecs (Nvidia) or several outputs (ATI, Intel) and you can't tell which one you're supposed to use. Before plugging in, it's actually impossible (as told by Nvidia in alsa-devel). I made a workaround for Nvidia so that one can select four different HDMI's in PulseAudio to make it a little easier for the user to get it working, but hopefully we can make something better long-term for Oneiric (related blueprint is hwe-o-audio-jack-detection ).

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic