Re: "Sound settings" changes for Precise

On 10/18/2011 05:23 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

David Henningsson wrote on 18/10/11 15:29:

The jack detection stuff I've been working with [1] during the
Oneiric cycle is currently somewhat half-baked. What's missing is
some UI changes to make this more user friendly.

As it stands, PulseAudio now provides sufficient information [2]
for us to have the possibility to revamp the Sound Settings UI to
make it more user friendly. This change was first discussed with
Matthew Paul Thomas in June (IIRC), then Harry von Haaren - a
summer worker - took on first making some mockups and later,
started on an implementation. The implementation was never
finished, and I'm not sure how much of it can be reused for "the
real thing".

Can we see these mockups?

Ok, I have now uploaded the best one here:

http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/sound-settings/gvc_ui_final.jpg
The two bottom checkboxes will be removed, at least initially.

The main point of the redesign is to remove the hardware tab, and have input and output tabs only. There should be one row for every combination of Port/Connector and Card.

This is made possible by the new PulseAudio jack detection patches, that enable us to hide non-existing ports (e g hiding headphones that are not plugged in, and phantom HDMI devices [1]), as well as showing ports for inactive profiles.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] See this link for more information http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2011/09/06/pulseaudio-with-jack-detection/