Re: Multiarch bug question

Hi David,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:09:57AM -0400, David Henningsson wrote:
> I have a question about this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-lib/+bug/1216869

> What I think happens is that
> 1) User has libasound2:amd64 installed
> 2) A new version of libasound2 gets published, but user does not
> dist-upgrade
> 3) User tries to install libasound2:i386, which is now the new version
> 4) Now, the new changelog is different from the outdated
> libasound2:amd64 and dpkg complains.

> Do you know how to fix this?

Replied on the bug.  This is user error; the problem only happens when
someone has installed an *unofficial* version of the libasound2 package,
whose changelog file does not match the one with the archive.  It has
nothing to do with not dist-upgrading before installing libasound2:i386, apt
will ensure that trying to install libasound2:i386 will pull in the matching
version of libasound2:amd64.  Unfortunately, this doesn't help if the
"matching version" that's already installed is an unofficial package with
different contents.

Cheers,
slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx