ubuntu-boot team mailing list archive

Re: Starting X earlier in boot process

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 20:05 +0000, Debbie Beliveau wrote:

> One of the changes that we have experimented with on the Hardy
> netbooks/MIDs is to start X earlier in the boot process. Scott had
> mentioned at UDS Intrepid that this could be effective and our
> bootcharts supported this.

Indeed, getting X up as early as possible is one of the primary goals;
anything that isn't in the critical path to do this should be deferred.

X's dependencies are quite simple:

- HAL for input hotplug
- D-Bus to get to HAL

HAL depends on D-Bus, udev and acpid (which deals with the ACPI events)

We can actually eliminate the HAL dependency in an interesting way if we
allow HAL to be service activated by D-Bus -- X would still make the
method call, etc. but D-Bus would block that method call until HAL was
started.

This would require some patches to X and HAL, but I think they're
worthwhile.

Then boot looks like:

 1) set hostname, mount /proc, /sys, etc.

 2a) start udev

 2b) start d-bus

 3) udevsettle

 4) check and mount filesystems