Re: Bug Control Application Process

Hello,

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 13:33 -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> Currently, I am the primary reviewer of applications to join the Ubuntu
> Bug Control team.  However, I have concerns that this won't scale well
> and that I am not getting back to every applicant in a timely process.
> Subsequently, I wanted to start a discussion about how we as a team can
> work together to review these applications and hopefully increase the
> membership in the team!
>
> James Westby and I had a hallway discussion about this at UDS Intrepid
> and I recall the following from it.  Please correct me where necessary
> James.
>
> Applications would be sent to this mailing list instead of to me
> directly.  This would require someone to moderate the post, in a timely
> fashion, since the applicant is not a member.

This is what i suggested when the ubuntu-bugcontrol ML was created, but
IIRC it wasn't possible to do at that moment. I have no problem in
moderate the queue during the hours I'm online :-).

> After the application is received two or three positive endorsements of
> the applicant will be required for their approval in the team.

Yes a vote of majority is enough there (being 2 votes now).

> Additionally, the review process should be limited to a one week
> (calendar) period after the application has posted to the mailing list.
> In addition a negative review of the application may require a meeting
> discussing the review and why it was the reviewed that way.  I say may
> because if the applicant hasn't done a sufficient amount of triaging
> that should be reason enough to deny their membership at that point in
> time.
>
> In the event that an application receives a negative review they'll be
> given feedback as to why it was rejected and what they can work on.
> After a period of two or four weeks they'd be welcome to apply again.
>
> If an application is approved the applicant would be granted membership
> in the team for a period of three months.  This three month period is
> designed to expire non-active members in the team.
>
> After the three month period the new member can just ping a team
> administrator to have their membership extended.

The renew of the memberships is always 3 months? If we renew for a
second time the membership of a member, wouldn't make more sense to
extend that period to ~6 months? (Asking for core members case)

> Another benefit of performing the review on this mailing list is that
> the mailing list has a public archive which everyone could peruse to
> observe the process of their application and any feedback.
>
> I welcome any feedback and comments regarding the proposed process.
> Additionally, there should be a separate discussion as to the criteria
> to use when evaluating applications.  I'll send another e-mail about
> that this week.

Great!, thanks for sent this.

Regards,

pedro.