Re: Bug Control Application

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 03:11 -0400, Dereck wrote:
> Hello Bug Control~
>
> As per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl I am submitting this
> application to join Bug Control.

Ooh, first one under the new system is it?

I don't know what the exact process will be, so I'll send my
comments directly to the list, and we can go from there.

> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
>  * Yes & Yes.

I confirmed the second from his Launchpad page. I didn't see
any counter-evidence to the first from the bugs that I looked
at.

> 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>
>  * No. Right now I want to help people new to triaging, especially when
> the GBJ hits the ground.

A worthy aim I think.

> 5. Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have
> an importance indicate what importance you would give it after becoming
> a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/246812
> Low - Wishlist

Reported himself, played the role of bug submitter, until
he wrote a patch, submitted upstream, and it got included there.

Good for the bug, but not great for evidence of triaging prowess.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/230571
> medium - Triaged

Read the report and decided the submitter had provided enough
information. I think he set it confirmed with that comment,
and then LaserJock set it to triaged, perhaps at Dereck's
urging.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/234405
> Low - Triaged

Asked the submitter for more details, and then reproduced.
I agree with the assesment of severity.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/230571
> Medium - Triaged

That's the same bug as above, I suspect a copy+paste error.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/124782

Again the same as above.

I looked at a few more bugs that he has commented on

 https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.bug_commenter=dereck

and didn't see anything to worry me.

I'd ask for another application with 5 distinct bugs for a start.

Unless he's trying to game us (which I doubt), he seems to be
on the right track, but not quite there yet. I'd ask for the
corrected application, but suggest that he take a week or two
over it to work on some more bugs in the mean time. I'd definitely
suggest that he re-apply a week or two before the GBJ, so that
if he is not accepted now he has another chance before that.

Thanks,

James