UbuntuBugControlTeam Application

Hi,

Please consider this my application to join the Ubuntu Bug Control team,
as per the procedure at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl.

1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes to both questions.

2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?

Yes, and I have no questions.

3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
information.

The stacktrace could contain passwords, credit-card / bank account
numbers, online banking details or private PGP keys/passphrases.

4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?

I want to help out with triaging across all packages, but I would also
like to start contributing more to Universe (eg, packaging and fixing
small bugs).

5) Have a list of triaged bugs that demonstrate you understand triaging.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/153257
After communicating with the reporter, I determined that this was
actually not a bug.

Same outcome as above.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/228945
Determined that this was a duplicate of another bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/270167
Determined that this was a duplicate of another bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/transmission/+bug/269800
Reproduced and confirmed bug, and then reported it upstream.
I would set the status of this bug to Low.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bluez-gnome/+bug/246547
Same process as above.
I would set the status of this bug to Low.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/266976
Determined that this was a duplicate of another bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/180743
I couldn't recreate the scenario necessary to reproduce the bug, but was
able to identify and confirm the bug after having looked through the
source code for the package.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/258145
Confirmed bug and reported upstream.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kernel-image-2.4.27-i386/+bug/68929
I asked for additional information to improve the bug report, but the
reporter never responded and I closed the report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rsync/+bug/270387
Request for a new version of a package in a stable release. I marked
this as a duplicate of an already existing bug in Hardy Backports, and
then referred the reporter to the procedures for stable release updates
and backports, for future reference.

Kernel bug - requested information and set to confirmed once this had
been gathered.
I would set the status of this bug to Medium, because it has a moderate
impact (sluggishness) on a core application (the kernel).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/linux/+bug/253004
Kernel bug - gathered data, confirmed and also found the bug had been
reported in Debian (so I added a link to the Debian report). Also note
my use of tags for kernel bug reports (from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags).

Many thanks
Chris Coulson

Launchpad profile: https://bugs.launchpad.net/~chrisccoulson/