Re: jibel wants to join

Hi,

I'm glad to apply to the bugcontrol team and give some time to make
Ubuntu better.

My name is Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel on irc.freenode.net) I'm
French. I'm an early user and a supporter of Linux, and more generally
Open Source Software, in the business world.

I have started using Linux in 1995 with Slackware. Then I've switched
to Redhat until v6 in 2000, Debian and finally Ubuntu since Dapper in
2006.

I've been triaging Ubuntu bugs for a few months now. I'm a generalist
working on a lot of minor/low activity packages. When time and skills
allow it, I fix them and provide backport to supported releases.

Here is my application as requested:
1) I promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to me
or Ubuntu. I have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

2) I have read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment and Bugs/Importance
and I don't have any questions.

3) In private Apport crash report, I should look for sensitive data
like passwords,  various kind of keys, private information like phone
numbers, bank accounts, personal informations, ...

4) Currently I'm mostly interested in:
- Upgrade/install issues
- Old forgotten but still supported reports
- Following up with "No Package/New/Undecided" reports, "Confirmed"
with no package, "In progress" without assignee, ...
- Kernel bugs
- And all those little things that can improve user experience (man
pages, core utils, hardware support, ...)

5) You'll find below an extract of my work and noticable reports. A
full list of the "fix released" bug reports I've been working on is at
http://tinyurl.com/4df89k
For each report, I've added a comment, and set the importance below the url.

faac : faac doesn't have a manpage.
reviving old bug and providing a patch
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/58012

mpage: mpage bugs and sync request
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mpage/+bug/58236
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mpage/+bug/260223
=> low

xserver-xorg-input-keyboard : Tajik keyboard layout: put 'щ' in place of
the letter 'o' for Russian words
foreign langage support & fix sent upstream
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/67051
=> low

cobex: man pages fix & patch
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/71341

xmoto: xmoto flickers just entering it.
following up with the user
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmoto/+bug/123771
and the fix
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmoto/+bug/243819
=> medium

gimp: GIMP color wheel looks ugly
confirming, reporting upstream & enhancement included upstream.
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/231080

grep: grep -i fails to work on intrepid
digging into deep,providing a patch and accepted
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grep/+bug/241990

gfcui: new report : gfc-examples must depend on libgfcui-dev in order to
build the examples
Reporting an issue
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gfcui/+bug/254234

rarian : failed to upgrade : "update-xmlcatalog: error:    entity
already registered"
Into deep & marking duplicates
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/256131

linux : ATA error messages reported in syslog
Following up with the user
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/267306

dhcp3: error send_packet:message too long
following up with the user and propose a workaround
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/274069
=> medium

grep : grep -w doesn't always grab whole words
Filling an upstream report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grep/+bug/274221
=> low

landscape-client: "landscape-client" error, upgrade to 8.10 beta
quickly sorting out the issue & propose a workaround
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/278518
=> medium

I would be very happy to join the team and use my background and
experience to help to improve Ubuntu.

Best regards,

PS: Third attempt, sorry for multiposting but that list definitely
doesn't like gmail.
--
Jean-Baptiste

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> criteria are met.
>
> 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> that documentation?
> 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> information.
> 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
> 5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance
>
> Thanks again for your interest in joining the team and I look forward to
> hearing from you.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com