Re: charlie-tca wants to join

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 03:34:05PM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:53:17 -0700
> Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> > part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> > criteria are met.
> >
> > 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> > you or Ubuntu?
>
> 	Yes
>
> > Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
>       Yes, launchpad name used is  charlie-tca
>
> > 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> > Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> > that documentation?
>
> 	Yes, I read the pages.
> 	No, I have no questions at this time, although I seem to ask on
> #ubuntu-bugs as they come up.
>
> > 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> > information.
>
>       Check for CoreDump.gz; if still attached look at the stack trace
> to see if it contains enough information. If there is enough
> information, remove the CoreDump.gz attachment.
> 	Check the Stacktrace.txt for anything that looks like
> sensivitive information passed as function arguments, including bank
> account numbers, passwords, etc.
>
> > 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
>
>       Xubuntu team packages
>
> > 5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> > triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> > process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> > that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> > it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> > your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-places-plugin/+bug/271689
>     Confirmed apport bug

This looks fine.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/254655
>     Confirmed and forwarded upstream

Thanks for taking the time to forward this upstream, that is great work.
Perhaps documenting where to find information about short cut keys
at the debugging openoffice page would be useful.  Additionally, I agree
with hggdh here that the bug should be Invalid as nothing was actually
fixed in the Ubuntu package or upstream.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/thunar-volman/+bug/220987
>     Confirmed and found upstream; linked to upstream bug

Linking to upstream bug reports is quite useful, thanks for doing that!

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunar/+bug/231923
>     confirmed; importance should be medium

This looks good to me.  I notice the bug has a low importance now but
you mentioned a medium one.  What makes it a medium one in your opinion?

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/220780
>     sent to translation team; importance should have been low

I'm not certain if subscribing the translation team was the "right" way
to proceed but it seems to have worked.  I don't think is wrong but I'm
curious - what lead you to do this?

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/exo/+bug/217900
>     importance should have be low or wishlist, since this is ejecting
> an empty CD drive tray

The work you've done here looks good to me too.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfprint4/+bug/211335
>     confirmed; WorkAround nominated for SRU

This looks fine, I'd have liked to seen the workaround in the
description though.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunar-volman/+bug/199005
>     floppy drive; able to confirm; importance probably low since it
> affects few users

You steps to recreate the bug report look great!  I agree with the
importance you'd give the bug.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/abiword/+bug/194384
>     Confirmed; WorkAround nominated for SRU; importance should be Medium

This looks good to me too, again I'd like to see the work around in the
description though.

> Thanks for helping me with this. I look forward to being able to triage
> the bugs and help Ubuntu and Xubuntu in this manner.

Based on the quality of your work I am approving your membership in the
team for a period of 90 days.  Thanks for helping out and welcome to the
team!

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com