Re: jayson.rowe wants to join

Hi Brian, Thanks for getting back with me. You will find the answers to your
questions below. A large part  of what I have been doing is looking at
extremely old bugs (marked to expire), and getting those taken care of -
often just leaving a comment asking for a status update if the bug was left
"open ended" by either the reportee or by the triager. I've gotten quite a
few "thank you's" and "I didn't know anyone cared" in the process, as well
as a few "sorry, not using Ubuntu any more" (which make me quite sad). It's
doing this task that made me want to get more involved in the bug process
and make things better for all Ubuntu users.

1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude toyou
or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes to both. (I've already been challenged with the first one a few times
:-) I'm a Net. admin (some companies might call me a sysadmin) by day so I
deal with "disgruntled" users all day, so I'm pretty used to it).

2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about that
documentation?

Not only have I read them, but I usuallly have them open for reference (just
in case) when I'm in Launchpad. I have no questions.

3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report
bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more information.
I should check for a "stacktrace.txt" file to ensure there aren't anything
that resemble bank numbers css keys, ss numbers, etc.

4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?

Nothing in particular jumps to mind - I'm willing too help wherever there is
a need. If I *had* to choose some packages, I would probably choose
virtualbox-ose, or any of the core GNOME packages. (gnome-panel, nautilus,
gnome-terminal, etc.)

5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have triaged.
 These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and
how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list that does not
have an importance indicate what importance you would give it after becoming
a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in your list of bugs so I
can more easily find them.

While I've probably "touched" over 150 bugs so far (mostly those old bugs),
here are a few that stand out too me I've included my proposed "status" in
parenthesis.:
This one is one of those older bugs. I was really just trying to fish out
activity (as I said) but ended up working with the guy (still am) trying to
reproduce so I can mark it confirmed:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/237910 (low)

For the rest of these, I simply went by the documentation requesting what
info was reccomended to request, etc.:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hotkey-setup/+bug/303290(medium)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/303243 (medium and assign too
ubuntu-kernel-team)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/303231(medium
and assign to ubuntu-audio)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/303196 (medium)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/302991 (low)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/302908 (low)

Again, thanks for you time in getting back with me. If you feel I need more
experience, I understand 100%. Perhaps you could recommend a mentor for me
to work with if so. I was simply hoping to help out more than I can now - I
saw lots of "needs packaging" and "wishlist" bugs that needed to have
status' changed, etc. I couldn't do it, which prompted me to apply for the
team. I do work a FT job, but on the weekends I could easily devote 4-6 hrs
(or more) to nothing but bug work on a fairly regular basis and easily an
hour or two during the week. I'm not a "developer" as I don't have any
programming skills, but I definatly want to do what I can to make Ubuntu
better for everyone, and help close Bug #1 one day :-)

Thanks!

--
-jayson