Re: Bug Control Application

Here it goes. /me hopes he makes the cut.

> Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> criteria are met.
>
> 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Absolutely, to both ends. Being helpful is one of the things Ubuntu is
founded on.

I remember being new to Linux and Ubuntu guys were the only thing that
kept me around. Their rudeness tends to stem from frustration of
something different and confusing.

> 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> that documentation?

I've read the documentation and it made perfect sense.

I don't imagine I'll ever remember it all. I tend to do that a lot and
just keep a tidy list of bookmarks that I refer to as my brain.

> 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> information.

I don't know how to rephrase it any better than described in the Wiki.

"Check if the Stacktrace.txt (retraced) attachment has anything that
looks like sensitive data passed as function arguments. Examples are
passwords, things that look like bank account numbers, CSS keys, etc. If
you don't find anything, you may mark the bug as public
("Visibility/security" in the top left pink box). This is not required,
though, it is fine to keep the bug private throughout its lifetime."

> 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?

I enjoy trying to tweak systems. I imagine I would enjoy any bugs
resulting from trying to modify systems. (To make a system
faster/leaner.) I also enjoy messing with pre-release Ubuntu.

I also enjoy working with hardware related issues.

> 5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.

[#1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/162684

Was changed to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/173652
about a month later.

Importance should be Low because it affects a small range of hardware
and does not affect the overall use of the system.

I do not believe these bugs are duplicates. The original bug is related
to me as well as the second. Since the first is fixed, I switched focus
to the second.

[#2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/173652

Importance should be Medium. This is correctly labeled. Although it
affects a portion of Ubuntu users, it does not have a severe impact. The
impact is relatively low (battery life).

[#3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/300997
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/301830

This bug could be triaged. It would be a relatively simple fix.

If triaged, Importance should be Low because it's strictly a cosmetic issue.

[#4]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/172372

Importance should be Low. I realize another member set this to Medium
because it affects other core applications. I feel it could be set to
Low because it affects a small range of users, and it can be easily
worked around.

[#5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/259930

This should be triaged because it is a reproducible event that has
enough information to reproduce.

Importance should be to Medium because it has a low impact on a large
group of users. This bug is a memory leak.

[#6] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openbox/+bug/259973

This should be triaged because it is a reproducible event that has
enough information to reproduce.

Importance should be Low because it affects a small range of users,
affects unusual configurations, and is non-trivial to implement.

[#7] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/blueproximity/+bug/286820

This should be triaged because it is a reproducible event that has
enough information to reproduce.

Importance should be Medium because it is a security issue, but only
affects that application which is an extension of the non-essential
hardware.

> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance

I haven't been able to set triage/importance on bugs however I've done a
lot of footwork to get the data needed to perform these actions. I
explained my thoughts on each bug in order to demonstrate that I know
and understand the process for bug control.

My part in the Triage process has been reporting bugs, helping patch,
and gathering information for developers. Some of my reporting has come
from questions asked against Ubuntu which were converted into bug
reports. I've also done some Status changing to help keep track of things.

Thanks for reviewing my application. I hope I've met your standards for
introduction to the team.

- --
Michael Lustfield
Profarius, SD LoCo