Re: Application for Bug Control membership

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 17:19 -0400, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Yes. Not really any questions at this point, but a comment:
>> On Bugs/Status it says that for Confirmed bugs, "Another reporter has
>> experienced the same bug, this can come in the form of a duplicate bug
>> or a bug comment". This isn't really followed in the xorg packages,
>> and with good reason. Many bugs are triggered by particular monitor
>> models or laptop models, and it would be really counter-productive if
>> we always had to find someone with the same hardware to confirm a bug.
>> Instead, bugs are confirmed once the bug is sufficiently described and
>> the necessary attachments are uploaded.
>>

> Thank you for your explanation. It would be a nice idea to update the
> wiki, adding this exception -- care to do that ;-)?. If you are worried
> about changing it, you can email -control with your proposed wording.
> Also, it might be worth updating https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Triaging to
> explicitly add this caveat.

It is actually on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Triaging already (under
Incomplete-With-Response Bug Triage)

I was about to update the Bugs/Status, but when thinking about it,
this seems to be a generic problem with the triage process. Say a bug
has received all the necessary information (its status is either "New"
if complete from the beginning or "Incomplete (with response)" if the
information is added later). The triager does not have the necessary
hardware or configuration to reproduce the bug himself/herself. What
should he/she do? For xorg-related bugs we set the status to
"Confirmed" at this point. I have sometimes seen people asking if the
status can be set to "Complete" after they have uploaded the necessary
information, but such a status does not exist. Also, there is no way
that I know about to search for bugs that need confirmation or bugs
that are related to the hardware that I have.

PS: What I thought about adding to the Bugs/Status was a last bullet
point under "Confirmed" saying:
Exception: For packages related to Xorg the status can be set to
"Confirmed" as soon as the necessary information is uploaded (see
X/Triaging).