Re: My Application to Join

Hey everyone,

I have attached my application to join the bug control team.

I've been meaning to do this for ages, and I really want to join :D.  So
I hope you consider me.

If you decide not to accept me this time, please tell me what I can do
to meet the criteria of the team, and whatever it is i'll do it (within
reason :P).

Kind regards,
Ben Crisford
1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
that documentation?
3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
information.
4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?
5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.

1) As you can see from my bug triaging with the bug squad (I hope!) I always try
to be polite to bug reporters or other commenters no matter what.  After all,
they have taken the time to make ubuntu better, but sometimes they need a hand
with triaging, who would I be to deny them that.  And yes I have signed the Ubuntu CoC.

2) I have read the documentation thouroughly when I first joined the bugsquad. And
whenever I am doubtful of something I refer to it.  I have the wiki links saved in
a .txt in my home folder in case I need to visit them.

3) The 'stacktrace.txt' file which is attatched in apport crash report bugs could have
sensitive information such as passwords, bank numbers, CSS keys or e-mail addresses.

4) I wouldn't say there was a particurlar package I want to help out with, but there
are so many packages in ubuntu and in the repos I often find myself being put
off a few reports when I check out the ubuntu bugs because I don't know the package
too well, which I find makes triaging a whole lot easier.  I feel more comfortable
with the more commonly used packages such as firefox, and rhythmbox.

5) Examples of my bug triaging can be found at...:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/374244 -- I would have
given that bug a 'High' importance because openoffice spreadsheet is often used for
important financial information, and if the reporter hadn't noticed that bug his
potentially important spreadsheet could've been ruined.

--Perhaps should have checked upstream if this was a known problem, report if not. And yes High importance - moderate
impact on an (estimated) large number of Ubuntu users.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/+bug/373889 -- This bug I see as being
reasonably low importance.  Although alot of people rely on bluetooth to send files,
the file transfers were still possible, just with a different method, so the bug could
be worked around.

--Low importance I believe, yes as it can be worked around relatively easily. Good work on reproducing the problem and
trying to get hold of a dev.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/373791 -- I would have
given this a 'Medium' importance, as it badly effects a very small amount of people.

--Medium importance not for the amount of users, but because it is a hardware problem, but not "essential" hardware.
Did you find out what kind of network he was trying to connect to, i.e. Adhoc, WEP key WPA/WPA2, etc? Broadcom
restricted drivers I believe aren't supported by us anyway, hence the restricted (patent) on them.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/335986 -- In my opinion that bug
was of 'Low' importance because it mildly affected a small amount of people.

--Don't see any problems with this one :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kompozer/+bug/374062 -- That bug was a quick
one to confirm.

--Well done, Wishlist was correct as this was a request to change something. Perhaps should have been referred to
Brainstorm as another alternative to bug reporting?

Obviously if you want you can goto:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/~bencrisford
To see some more.

Anyway I really hope you conside me for the bug control team, i've wanted to join for so
long :D.

Have a great day :),
Ben Crisford

+1 I myself have seen Ben floating around on #ubuntu-bugs for quite a few weeks, asking questions when needed.
I believe he would be a welcome addition to the Bug Control crew, always polite and helpful to reporters, and
seems to know how to handle triaging, bar 1 or 2 simple mistakes, 1 of which was rectified anyway.

Good luck Ben!