Re: Application of Sense Hofstede

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:28:42PM +0200, Sense Hofstede wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to apply to the Ubuntu Bug Control team. I've already
> applied to the team and send hereby the answers on the required
> questions. T
> This is not the first time I joined the team, I've been a member twice
> before. I left the team twice because I was very inactive both times,
> but every time I regretted the move. It's a nice way of contributing
> to Ubuntu and now I'd like to start with it again.

Welcome back!

> Of course this means I already have earlier experience with triaging,
> but to give a better impression of my current skills I'll provide
> links to bugs I've worked recently on.
>
> #1 Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>   Yes I do, and yes I have.
>
> #2 Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>   Yes I have, and no I don't.
>
> #3 What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
> information.
>   The procedure for handling Apport bugs isn't very clear -- to me, at
> least -- but I would look for thinks like passwords, bank account
> numbers, addresses, telephone numbers, IP addresses and anything else
> that looks sensitive.

Ideally, private bug reports will be made public so that they are
visible to everyone.  However, its possible that private information may
appear in the CoreDump attachment or threaded stack traces.
Subsequently, these reports are initially private but we should try to
make everyone public.  That covers what to check, but not what we should
look for.

There is not a clear list of what should be considered private
information in an attachment.  Some items, like account usernames and
passwords obviously should be private but others are not so obvious.  I
think it would be helpful if someone were to start gathering a list of
what should be considered private in a wiki page.  A good way of finding
things to add to the list would be reviewing the private bug reports at
http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/launchpad-database/private-apport-crashes.html.
Then once we have a list we could publicize it and discuss it.

> #4 Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>    I usually focus on packages that don't have too much bugs. It
> varies, though. Mostly I pick a program I use myself to make verifying
> the bug easier.

That's great as being able to verify the bug yourself is very important.

> #5 Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not
> have an importance indicate what importance you would give it after
> becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list
> of bugs.
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/410832 Low
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/410763 Medium
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/395303 Low
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/410433 n/a
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/396439 n/a

Based upon my previous experience with your work and the generally
positive comments of the other reviewers[1].  I am happy to approve your
membership in the team!  Thanks for helping out and welcome to the team.

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-bugcontrol/threads.html
    It seems not everyone included you in their reply.

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com