Marc Randolph Bug Control Application

Howdy all,

Here are my responses for the bug control membership application:

> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Absolutely.  I _always_ strived to be as polite as possible (nearly to
a fault) in all forms of communications and regardless of the Ubuntu
code of conduct (which I did sign this week).

> 2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?

Yes, I have read those pages. I am never afraid to ask questions, and
I error on the side of caution (and do nothing) rather than cause
potential disruptions.
I do have a question on one topic: Assigning importance is probably a
triagers most important job since it sets expectations and indicates
the understood priority to users, maintainers, and developers.
But I find it sometimes difficult to assign an importance:
A. Especially when the ticket it is incomplete, or
B. When the bug contains enough information to be "confirmed", or
maybe even "triaged" (if a patch is provided), but I am not familar
enough with that particular project to understand how severe the
problem is.

In Case A, I'm not too worried, because if a bug is truely incomplete,
then there is likely not information to accurately assign an
importance.

But in case B, is it suggested to leave the bug untouched (don't
change the status or importance), or change just the status, or change
the status AND make an educated guess on importance (on the assumption
that if it is wrong, someone else will see it and change it)?

> 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.

First thing is to remove core dumps since they frequently contain
sensitive user data.  user-id's or account numbers, passwords, and
other (even physical location data) can also show up and should be
stripped out.

> #4 Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are interested in helping out with?

I'm actually here at the suggestion of superm1 (Mario Limonciello),
the maintainer of many mythtv related packages.  My first and main
focus will be on the myth related projects under his supervision.  As
time allows, I will be happy to help out on other projects where I can
understand enough to actually be helpful (ref: case 2.B above).

> #5 Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not
> have an importance indicate what importance you would give it after
> becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list
> of bugs

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/436792 - High.  If you can read around
the lengthy parallel (and off-topic) discussion regarding obtaining
the current version, I feel this was high because it doesn't work
after install, but can be worked around if the user is knowledgable
enough.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/440342: Low because it is cosmetic.
Was originally thought to be an upstream bug, so I forwarded the bug
on, but it turns out it was was a Mythbuntu theme issue.  I marked it
as triaged since the upstream provided the answer and also assigned it
to the theme developer since he is actively working the issue
(confirmed via IRC).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/440807: Critical - project was broken
not only on nightly PPA, but also in Karmic on packages.ubuntu.com,
where it is more accessable by inexperienced users, so therefore be
resolved quickly.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/429089: Medium - there appears to be
work-arounds for this non-major feature if the user is knowledgable
enough.  I developed and submitted a patch upstream, which I am in the
process of re-working.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/397194: Medium - easy work-around for
a very commonly used feature

I welcome any critism of other bugs I've touched (it's impossible to
make me upset, so fire away!).

Best regards,

   Marc (https://launchpad.net/~mrand)

GPG key ID: 159FAAC2