Re: Marc Randolph Bug Control Application

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Adding it all up: as a member of Bug-control you *are* expected to give
> your best bet on the Importance. If it ends up being wrong, someone will
> indeed reset it, and explain why.

Makes perfect sense

>> > 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
>>> crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for
>>> more information.
>>
>> First thing is to remove core dumps since they frequently contain
>> sensitive user data.  user-id's or account numbers, passwords, and
>> other (even physical location data) can also show up and should be
>> stripped out.
>
> Additionally, you should look at backtraces, stacktraces, etc. A 'bt
> full', or 'thread apply all bt full', may contain private data. If you
> find them, then you have two options:
> 1. sanitise the backtraces, by manually taking out any private data.
> This means downloading the traces, editing/redacting them, uploading the
> redacted trace, and deleting the original one.
> 2. Leave the bug private.

Ah yes.  Thank you for the reminder!

> I have been working on a sanitiser for backtraces for a while (well, I
> *was* working on it, then I got busy earning a life, but I am returning
> to it now). Hopefully, when I am done, we will be able to automate the
> clean-up process. Meanwhile, it is a purely manual process.

I'm sure that many will appreciate that, even out side of the bug control group.

> The only thing I am not sure of -- and I will defer to the bugmeisters
> -- is why you need bug-control for Mythbuntu.
>
> But your work more than warrants membership to Bug-control.
>
> +1.

Thank you for review and the kind comments.  To answer your last
question, you are absolutely correct that bug-control is not needed
for Mythbuntu.  Mario was hoping for help with the related projects
(mythtv, mythplugins, and others) which get private reports, and which
I can not currently assign priority on.

Have fun,
.
   Marc