Re: Handling mentor requests

2009/11/12 Brian Curtis <bcurtiswx@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> In addition to what sense mentioned.  Is there a "checklist" of things
> we should make sure the students know before we can "let them go"?

Hello,

There is some sort of checklist at the wiki-page [1]; it's in the part
explaining the requirements for the mentors.

> -Work on x number of bugs WITH them.
I wouldn't set a fixed amount of bugs apart from the quote set by the
application procedure.

> -Once they can do x number of bugs on their own in one day, then they
> have "passed" and are no longer your student and you can then get
> another student.?
>
> ?'s:
> -Should there be a max number of students one mentor can have?
I think a maximum isn't needed. Instead mentors should decide for
themselves if they can handle any more students.

> -Once mentors are filled up, do the applicants then go in a waiting pool?
> --Is there a wiki page for all mentor requests (kind of like Ubuntu
> Membership wiki's with people who have applied)
> --Maybe mentor requests can go on the Mentor page

I'm not aware of such a page, but I'm all for it. However, maybe it
would be better to keep such a page private.

I think we should tell the mentors to focus on getting the students
ready to triage on their own and prepare them for application to
Ubuntu Bug Control. They should be ready to join when they're done.

I would also like to suggest to set up a team contact, responsible for
handling complaints or problems with a mentor. This should be
confident and possibly anonymous. I'd suggest to appoint someone who's
not a mentor to prevent having to handle a complaint about yourself.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Mentors

Regards,
--
Sense Hofstede