Re: Handling mentor requests

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:41:20 +0100
Sense Hofstede <sense@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently the mentorship programme has gained some traction and now the
> number of applicants requesting mentorship are rising slowly. However,
> it is still unclear how to handle those requests and what the
> responsibilities are of those who offered to be a mentor, like I did.
>
> At the moment it looks like the policy is that it's up to the mentors
> to write a reply to the applicant confirming the mentorship and
> starting the programme. Judging from the archive of this mailist that
> would mean that most applicants have received no response. Is this
> true? Are we offering a service, but not providing it? There seem to
> be enough mentors available at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Mentors, but only three mentors seem
> to have students assigned.
>
> Maybe we should make it more clear to the mentors what's expected from
> them. I also think that it would be good to send a reply to all
> applicants confirming their application. We could then add them to a
> (private?) list so the mentors have a pool to pick students from.
>
> Regards,

I have been replying to them -- granted, got a bit delayed until
yesterday.

As I gather the necessary data, I have been contacting each potential
mentor for acceptance.

But, certainly, this is not an ideal process. There is a blueprint to
be discussed on this at UDS next week, though.

Right now, for example, I would like to have mentors around the UTC+5
TZ...

Cheers