Re: Bug Filing For Dailies

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 05:51:11PM -0500, James Westby wrote:
> On Wed Nov 25 20:22:22 -0500 2009 Micah Gersten wrote:
> > The question came up recently and I figured that I'd try to get some
> > type of official response.
> >
> > Since we want more dailies this cycle, where should the bugs be filed
> > for dailies?
>
> This is a good question, and I'm glad to see that most of the points
> I would have made have already been made in the thread :-).
>
> It generally depends who is responsible for them. If it is an Ubuntu
> developer then they will generally want the bugs against the Ubuntu
> package. If it is an upstream version then upstream is the better
> place.

There was a similar thread on the bugsquad mailing list regarding bugs
about packages from PPAs in March[0].  At that time I said:

"I think setting the bug report to Invalid, since we have no way to find
out who the owner of the PPA is nor a guarantee that they've subscribed
to the package bug reports, and modifying the title and tagging as
you've suggested is the best available option.  This will still allow
PPA owners to find bug reports if they wish to go looking for them.
While this isn't the ideal solution I believe it is the least
objectionable."

I still mostly agree with myself. ;-)

However, if there is a well known call for using dailies for example with
Ubuntu One or xorg packages then the bug report should be tagged 'ppa'
and possibly prepend the bug title with [PPA] and the bug should be left
open.  If there is not one then I think the bug report should be closed
but the tag still added and the title modified so they can be more
easily found by any interested parties.

[0]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-bugsquad/2009-March/001347.html

--