Re: Bug Filing For Dailies

On Wed Nov 25 20:22:22 -0500 2009 Micah Gersten wrote:
> The question came up recently and I figured that I'd try to get some
> type of official response.
>
> Since we want more dailies this cycle, where should the bugs be filed
> for dailies?

This is a good question, and I'm glad to see that most of the points
I would have made have already been made in the thread :-).

It generally depends who is responsible for them. If it is an Ubuntu
developer then they will generally want the bugs against the Ubuntu
package. If it is an upstream version then upstream is the better
place.

Elliot is right that it is mainly a symptom of the lack of a place
to report bugs against PPAs. I have discussed this with the LP
developers a couple of times. They don't really have a plan to
make this possible in the immediate future as far as I know.
This is unfortunate, as we are stuck with confusion such as this,
and things like apport crash reports being less useful. Any
suggestions for how we can improve the situation until there is
a fix in LP would be welcome.

One thing I think we should do is strongly encourage people to
put a link to report bugs in the description of their PPA. There
are lots of problems with this, but at least the information is
there if you know where to look.

Thanks,

James