Re: Application for the Bug Control Team - Mitch Towner (kermiac)

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 10:29:07PM +1100, Mitch Towner wrote:

> Hi,
>      I've been a member of the bugsquad for a couple of months now. A
> lot of you will have seen me in the IRC channel (kermiac) helping out
> where I can & giving advice to other new members. I think I'm ready to
> join the Bug Control team now to help even more than I can at the moment.

Great we are happy to have your help.

> [...]
> recent "spammers" we have seen & I also cleaned up the majority of the
> bug reports that were messed up. I have signed the Ubuntu Code of
> Conduct & I believe that adhering to it is one of the many things that
> makes people such as myself really feel the urge to give back the
> Ubuntu community.
>
>     *Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>, Bugs/Assignment
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment>, Bugs/Status
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status> and Bugs/Importance
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance>? Do you have any
> questions about that documentation?
>
> I have read those wiki pages. I find myself using them & referring
> them to others on a very regular basis to help with bug triaging. As
> recently as today I sent an email to         a new bugsquad member who
> appeared to need a little assistance/ guidance inviting him to join
> #ubuntu-bugs & encouraging him to reads those documents. He later came
> into the channel & thanked me for the advice.
>
>     *What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
>       crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage> for more information.
>
> A bug should not be made public if it still contains a coredump file,
> any personal information such as passwords, bank details, encryption
> keys or other such personal information in the stacktrace file.
>
>     * Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>       interested in helping out with?
>
> I have found myself triaging a wide variety of bugs. My main interests
> so far have been related to SRU's, Gnome desktop apps & sound related
> bugs.
>
> Here are a few of the SRU's I have worked on:
>
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+source/sun-java5/+bug/484288
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcalctool/+bug/495551
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown-scripts-zg2/+bug/484131
>
>     * Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there        is a bug in your list that does
> not have an importance indicate what importance you would give it
> after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in
>        your list of bugs.
>

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/512454
> I diagnosed exactly where the problem was coming from & changed the
> package. I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the
> issue was in (Karmic) I updated the bug description to ensure it was
> well understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
> current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault has been
> resolved. I added a workaround for this issue to the bug report, then
> marked as fix released. I asked perisa to set the importance to "low"

This looks like great work, however I'm slightly confused as to why this
is a bug in apt.  Can you elaborate on why the bug is in apt and
possibly how it was fixed in Lucid?

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/520685
> I diagnosed exactly where the problem was coming from & changed the
> package. I updated the bug description to ensure it was well
> understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
> current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault still existed in
> a fully up-to-date lucid stock install. I added 2 workarounds for this
> issue to the bug report. I then sent the bug upstream & linked the
> upstream bug report to the LP bug report. I asked vish to set this to
> "low" as there are 2 easy workarounds.

I really like seeing how you've modified the bug descriptions - this is
fantastically useful.  Additionally, thanks for forwarding this bug
report upstream.

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/debian/+source/ntp/+bug/511743
> I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the issue was
> in (Karmic). I also tested the issue in the current dev release
> (lucid) to ensure that the fault still existed in a fully up-to-date
> lucid stock install. I then sent the bug upstream & linked the
> upstream bug report to the LP bug report. I asked hggdh to set the
> importance to "low" as this issue had no effect on the usability of
> the application.

This looks great.

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+bug/517925
> I confirmed the issue in the release that the OP advised the issue was
> in (Karmic) I updated the bug description to ensure it was well
> understood exactly what the issue was. I tested the issue in the
> current dev release (lucid) to ensure that the fault has been
> resolved. I added a workaround for this issue to the bug report, then
> marked as fix released. I asked perisa to set the importance to "low"
> as there was an easy work around.

This is also fantastic.  While I'm nitpicking here it'd be nice if the
images were added as attachments to Launchpad.

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/511436
> I asked the OP for more information to help further diagnose the
> issue. I updated the title to better reflect the issue. I suggested a
> possible fix. This did not resolve the issue, but lead to the OP
> giving me more information that lead to me discovering the root cause
> of his issues (a corrupted installation). After confirmation that the
> issue was resolved by re-installing using a freshly downloaded ISO, I
> marked the bug as invalid to close the bug report.

This looks great too!

While I'm still curious about the hylafax / apt bug report I am very
impressed by the quality of your work and I'm happy to have you as a
member in the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  Congratulations and welcome!

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com