Re: BugControl Application

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:11:57 -0600
Draycen DeCator <ddecator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> Response: Yes I do, Bug #517777 is evidence to this pledge. Yes, I
> have signed the CoC.

Generally, it is better to provide the full URL to a bug -- I, at
least, am lazy ;-)

Oh, I do remember this one. For the record, I was complaining of *all*
the continuously changing description, the (re)assignments, and the
status changes. All in all, I think he just had a bad day. Good work.

<snip/>

> 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public?
>
> Response: Coredump.gz files should be removed (if they are not
> needed) from reports before they are made public. If there is no
> Stacktrace.txt file, then the Coredump.gz file should remain on the
> report, the report should remain private, and Martin Pitt should be
> contacted via IRC. The Stacktrace.txt file (if there is one) should
> also be examined for personal information, such as account numbers,
> passwords, usernames, etc. before a report is made public. If the
> Stacktrace.txt file is complete and does not contain any personal
> information, then the Coredump.gz file can be removed and the report
> can be made public.

Well, it seems our hammering on coredumps did some good...

A bit more on this: if 'apport' is still subscribed to the bug, then
the apport retrace magic has not yet taken place; in this case, it is
better to way for it. This should also be visible by the presence of
'need-*-retrace' tags.

<snip/>

> 5. Examples of triaging skill. Below are six examples of my
ability to
> handle bug reports. The importance of each report was requested by
> myself on #ubuntu-bugs, and a Bug Control member changed the report
> for me.
>
> Bug #485352

Good work. I particularly like the fact that you try to explain what
you did and why you did it.

> Bug #523236

Another good work. Although I can understand the frustration of those
that do not read French, I sort of agree that in English the error would
not be that evident ;-)

> Bug #517777

Already discussed. Nice call not to mix yourself in the brouhaha.

> Bug #515725

Extra points for searching for, finding, and adding the Mozilla bug.
Now, what does the tag 'upstream' mean?

> Bug #516154

Nice sequence. One comment: it is a good idea to review the canned
response for a duplicate if it is used some time after comments to the
bugs have been made -- mostly if you, or somebody else have already say
'thank you for reporting...'. Usually we thank the OP for opening the
bug *once* per bug ;-)

> Bug #514782

Also good work!

> These bugs are in no particular order, and I have selected these six
> in order to show my experience with different aspects of triaging
> (i.e., filing upstream, translation bugs, testing on development
> release, dealing with a rude reporter, etc.)
>
> My mentor is Pedro (pedro_), however I have had difficulty in keeping
> in contact with him, so I am not sure how much he has been following
> me. Others who have helped me most on #ubuntu-bugs include hggdh,
> persia, and micahg.

This can happen, unfortunately. This is one reason we have been trying
to match availability on both sides.

On the other hand, anyone at #ubuntu-bugs can chime in and help, as
happened with you. In a very real sense you were mentored by all.

> I really enjoy working with Bug Squad and Bug Control members, and I
> look forward to becoming a more integral part of the team!
>
> Thank you for taking the time to review this application,
> Draycen DeCator (ddecator)

All in all, good work. The *ONLY* thing that is preventing me from
giving you a positive 1 is...

WHERE ARE YOUR VIEWS OF HOW IMPORTANT (or not) A BUG SHOULD BE?

This is the major difference for -control. Only -control can set an
importance. It is not the only difference, but it *is* the major one.

So -- please -- give us your view of how *you* would set the
importance. After reviewing them -- and I would expect you get them
very much correct --, I will be extremely happy in giving you a +1.

Right now, thou...

+0. # should be 1...

..C..