Re: BugControl Application

hggdh,

Thanks for the response. Sorry about the URLs, I just noticed that on the
wiki. I'm not sure how much information you want in regards to my process in
deciding importance, so I've included just about everything you could need.
Below is an explanation of how I decide the importance of bugs. (As a side
note, I followed the wiki when I sent my application, so maybe add a step in
there asking us to show examples of our procedures for deciding bug
importance?)

Wishlist:
- The report is requesting a reasonably small, well defined feature addition
or change in a program.

Low:
- The bug is a cosmetic issue that does not inhibit functionality of a
program.
- The bug seems to be affecting one person (and maybe a few others in a
small group) only intermittently, and it is not serious (no crashing, just
affects functionality slightly).
- The bug has a simple workaround.

Medium:
- The bug causes a program to crash for a small amount of people.
- The bug, while not causing a crash, affects functionality of a core
application and affects a moderate amount of users.
- The bug affects hardware that is not necessary for running Ubuntu.
- The bug affects a large number of people, but the program is a non-core
application.

High:
- The bug is causing a core application to crash for a significant number of
users.
- The bug makes Ubuntu unusable for a small group of users.
- The bug affects hardware that is essential to running Ubuntu.

Critical:
- The bug causes severe problems for a large portion of Ubuntu users.

In regards to the bugs I posted, here is my justification for the importance
assigned to them:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/window-picker-applet/+bug/485352
(Low) This report is requesting a trivial feature be added to the Windows
List Applet, and the desired function is clearly stated.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/523236
(Low) The bug is simply a cosmetic issue, which does not affect
functionality in any way. Also, while the translation is not correct, users
are still able to tell what it is supposed to mean.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/517777
(Low) Once again, this bug is a cosmetic issue that does not affect
functionality. In the event that the background does happen to be black and
render the text unreadable, the user can simply close nautilus and reopen
the folder in order to resolve the issue. There is also a simple workaround.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/515725
(Low) Another cosmetic bug that only minimally affects functionality. The
user is also able to easily reset the zoom so the display is correct again.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/516154
(Medium) I originally viewed this bug as Low due to the easy workaround of
simply not using the "Ask me every time" feature. However, after some
discussing in #ubuntu-bugs, it was suggested to me that this could
potentially be seen as a security issue since it involves cookies. As a
result, we determined that Medium was a better fit for this report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero/+bug/514782
(Medium) This bug affects the functionality of a core application, so a
moderate amount of people are likely to be affected.

Hopefully this is a sufficient explanation of how I decide Importance.

Thanks,
Dray

P.S. - Thank you for the comments hggdh, I will remember them and apply them
to future bugs =)