Re: Bug Pattern Writing Experience

Brian Murray wrote:
> The bug is currently about xserver-xorg-video-intel but it was
> originally filed about xorg-server.  You can tell this by the
> SourcePackage line in the bug description.
<...>
> So I envision that xorg-server
> will be a collection of xorg-server patterns and also
> xserver-xorg-video- driver patterns.  Does that make sense to everyone
> else?

   Certainly to me.  The same rule can probably usefully apply to
other collections of packages (sugar and wesnoth come to mind
immediately, but I'm sure there are others).  In the specific case of
Xorg, I suspect it may be useful to also collect xserver-xorg-input-*
driver patterns.

    An alternate implementation would be to try to allow some package
group hint file, and have that set of packages searched for
autoduplication.  So rather than needing to copy the patterns
directly, we could have something like:

xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg-video-intel, xserver-xorg-input-evdev ...
wesnoth: wesnoth-core wesnoth-httt wesnoth-l wesnoth-low ...

    This may ultimately save space if there are a lot of such
patterns, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the implentation to
know if this would be hard in terms of local or LP resources.

--
Emmet HIKORY