Re: Application for bug control

Hey Gianfranco,

My comments are inserted below.

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Gianfranco Costamagna <
costamagnagianfranco@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everybody, I signed the code of conduct and read the bugs/triaging
> guide.
> I have interest in amsn package, I want focus my help in amsn triaging.
>
> I mainly foward amsn bugs upstream, since they are not ubuntu-related.
>
> I don't open a new bug upstream, since sf bug tracker is not compatible
> with lp's one, so
> I prefere to talk directly with the amsn developers (I'm in their mail
> list)
> I know this is not the right way to do bug hunting, but they are usually
> bugs really easy to fix, so they are fixed in svn really soon.

If this is what the developers prefer, then it shouldn't be a big deal. The
biggest thing is making sure they are aware of the problems so they can work
on fixes.

> I foward sometimes patches upstream (fox example I fowared the boinc patch
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/maverick/boinc/maverick/annotate/head:/debian/patches/200_don-t-assume_SCHED_BATCH_exist.patch<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-branches/ubuntu/maverick/boinc/maverick/annotate/head:/debian/patches/200_don-t-assume_SCHED_BATCH_exist.patch>
> )
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/365196

Is this really fixed though? It sounds like it may just happen irregularly.
Maybe use a VM to see if the tray icon doesn't work until after the user has
logged out and back in? I'm not entirely convinced that it is Invalid yet.

Just a side note, it is perfectly fine to request that users look for
duplicates before reporting a new bug, and to suggest a certain bug that
might be what they are looking for, but the "no please!!! don't fill a new
bug!!!" seemed a little eccentric. Worst case scenario, you just have to
mark their new bug as a duplicate ;).

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/350947

Ok, fair enough. It's really nice if you can point to an entry in the
changelog that shows when a fix was introduced, but I know some teams don't
necessarily do this. Still nice if you can though.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/407661 I suggest a
> wishlist importance for this one

Wishlist sounds fair to me, but before I change it I would want to hear your
reasoning for why it should be set to that. So far your triage has been
good, but you haven't really shown your understanding of how importance is
decided.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/314323

Here it would have been good to leave a note in a comment letting the
reporter know that we don't want people to confirm their own bugs (even if
it is more of a feature request such as this). Unfortunately, this bug isn't
done yet, so I can't really tell much about your triaging ability from it at
this point.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/177010

Setting to "Won't Fix" requires Bug Control status/membership. I understand
that the importance was set before you started to work on the bug, so it
doesn't really show your ability to choose the right importance. However,
that's what we are looking for in these applications, so I encourage you to
find more reports where you directly chose the importance and use those in
the application.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amsn/+bug/584868

Again, this bug isn't near completion, so I can't really tell much from it.

> I suggested when possible the importance inside the bug.
> (I know there is 6 bugs in this list... :))
> Just my two cents
>

> Gianfranco

Just a few observations. I didn't see you subscribed to any of the bugs,
which isn't really necessary, but I recommend you subscribe to them so they
will show up on the Bugs section of your LP profile. Later, when you've
worked on a lot of bugs, it becomes easier to go through them all this way.

Also, and importantly, we need examples of bugs that are fully triaged and
show your understanding of bug importance. The bugs that you have provided,
while showing that you understand the basics of triage and are off to a good
start, do not give us any indication that you will properly assign
importance and statuses to bugs, which is the main difference between
BugSquad and BugControl rights.

Finally, it is great that you are working on the amsn package as it no doubt
needs the help, but it would help if we could see work on bugs related to
other packages. This will allow us to make sure that you understand how
triage is handled in general, independent of the package. So, even if there
are just a few reports related to other packages, it will make your case
stronger.

All of that said, you are off to a great start! It is also great to see that
you are working with the developers so the bugs can be fixed quickly.
However, I do no personally feel you are ready for BugControl yet, at least
not based on the reports that you have provided. I encourage you to take a
look at my comments and try to improve your triaging abilities. If you keep
up with everything, then you'll be ready for BugControl before you know it.

Please don't hesitate to email me or contact me on IRC if you have any
questions.

For now: -1

Thanks!
Dray [ddecator]