Re: Application for BugControl team membership

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Clint Byrum <clint@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>        • Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> I promise. :)
>
>        • Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>
> I have. No questions.
>
>        • What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
> information.
>
> CoreDump.gz must always be removed. Stacktrace.txt should be inspected for
> sensitive information.
>
>        • Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>
> As a member of the Canonical Platform Server Development Team I'm
> particularly interested in helping to triage the server-team bugs.

Everything looks good so far.

>        • Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have an
> importance indicate what importance (and explain the reasoning) you would
> give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in
> your list of bugs.
>

> Here is a list of bugs i've triaged recently:
>
> Confirmed + forwarded upstream:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hdparm/+bug/590129
> Importance should be "Low" - This is just a documentation fix.

Nice and simple, and you did a good job with forwarding upstream. Agreed
with the importance you suggested.

> Reported upstream + patched (Status=>Confirmed):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/591475
> Importance should be "Medium" - LVM2 is a core application and users spend
> an inordinate amount of time confirming that their disks are not broken.

Looks good. I'm guessing you're marking Confirmed because you reproduced the
bug, but it'd be nice if you left a comment with the change saying that you
were able to reproduce the issue. Well, in this case since you knew the
issue and created a patch (thanks for that by the way!) it isn't as big of a
deal, but I noticed the same thing on the last report.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/memcached/+bug/491685
> Importance should be "Low" - This does not affect most servers, and will
> only annoy users mildly.

Good job with going so far as to create a patch :)

> Marked as duplicate:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bug/590309
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bacula/+bug/541077

Looks good.

> Marked as incomplete:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sqlite3/+bug/590399
> Importance should stay at Undecided until bug report is reproducible as it
> is not clear what the impact is.

Looks good. Professional comments thus far. I would recommend having the
user run apport-collect so there would be at least some basic info about
their system added to the report (such as the info hggdh asked for).

> Confirmed:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5/+bug/592442
> Importance should be "Medium" as there seems to be no work around for the
> issue if a server is incompatible.

Great job testing in multiple ways to help narrow down the cause.

> Fix Released:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/couchdb/+bug/419091
> Importance should be Medium - All couchdb users in Karmic are affected by
> this, so it will be nominated for SRU.

Looks good.

Overall, everything looks great. You definitely seem to understand what you
are doing, and you are being very professional with users. I do recommend
you comment when you change the status or importance so everyone seeing the
report knows why the change occurred, even if you say "I was able to
reproduce this" when you confirm the bug. Other than that, assuming you
looked for duplicates upstream before filing new bugs, I agree with
everything you've done.

+1