Application for bugcontrol

Hello all,

I've been triaging bugs for a while, and have finally decided I would
probably benefit from bugcontrol powers. So, here's my application.

# Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes, and I think my sample work will demonstrate that.

# Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?

I've read them and applied that knowledge. I've even worked on
Bugs/Status a bit, to add the Expired status. :)

# What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
information.

Look for passwords, etc. in text data. Bugs with coredump.gz still
attached should always be private.

# Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?

I've primarily worked on assigning packages to bugs with no home (which
doesn't typically require Triaged status, so that's why I haven't
applied yet). I try to keep up with the no-package bugs that I touch,
however, and most of my sample work will be this sort.

If the future, I am interested in triaging gnome-power-manager (where
much of my current knowledge is) and kernel reports (what I enjoy).

# Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have
an importance indicate what importance (and explain the reasoning) you
would give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use
urls in your list of bugs.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upower/+bug/531190>: I
noticed lots of similar reports on g-p-m, and identified this bug as the
underlying cause. I marked them all as duplicates and added information
from other reports to parent report.

I would give this bug Medium importance because it has a moderate effect
on a core application; even though it's hardware-specific by the number
of duplicates it seems to be pretty commonly experienced.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/481312>:
I messed up at first with this bug and thought it was a dupe of the
above bug, but quickly realized my mistake. Since then, I have been
working closely with those experiencing the bug and have gotten close to
identifying the underlying problem. I think you can see my continued
cordiality and appreciation with bug reporters, as well as my continued
effort until the problem is resolved. (Note that as part of my effort
here I updated and reorganized
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager> to be more helpful
to reporters.)

pvillavi already marked this bug with Low importance, which I agree with
because it doesn't seem to affect much hardware.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/248870>:
After experiencing this bug myself I reproduced using upstream packages
and sent it upstream. Since then OO.org developers have reproduced it
and confirmed the report.

I would give this bug Low performance because, though OO.org is a core
Ubuntu application, this bug is only an annoyance and only happens under
a certain circumstance: when you have used the mousewheel to scroll off
of the cursor's page.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/376793>: Here I
worked with reporter and subscribers to 1) find out that it's an issue
in Ubuntu kernels, and 2) politely fend off folks with
similar-but-different issues.

I disagree with the importance set here. I believe it should be Low
because it only affects one laptop model and is easy to work around.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/406515>: This bug
report was a mess, with way too many tasks, many false-duplicates, and a
vague title which attracted them. I cleaned it up and the bug is now
Triaged and looks like it'll be fixed in Maverick. See comment #66 to
see an example of where I needed to be tactful.

Medium importance is valid here because it has a moderate effect on many
laptops.

Thank you all for considering me, and I will be happy to provide any
more necessary information. Thanks!

Regards,
David

Follow ups