Re: Application for bugcontrol

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 15:43 -0400, David Tombs wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been triaging bugs for a while, and have finally decided I would
> probably benefit from bugcontrol powers. So, here's my application.
>
> # Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> Yes, and I think my sample work will demonstrate that.
>
> # Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>
> I've read them and applied that knowledge. I've even worked on
> Bugs/Status a bit, to add the Expired status. :)
>
> # What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
> information.
>
> Look for passwords, etc. in text data. Bugs with coredump.gz still
> attached should always be private.
>
> # Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>
> I've primarily worked on assigning packages to bugs with no home (which
> doesn't typically require Triaged status, so that's why I haven't
> applied yet). I try to keep up with the no-package bugs that I touch,
> however, and most of my sample work will be this sort.
>
> If the future, I am interested in triaging gnome-power-manager (where
> much of my current knowledge is) and kernel reports (what I enjoy).
>
> # Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have
> an importance indicate what importance (and explain the reasoning) you
> would give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use
> urls in your list of bugs.
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upower/+bug/531190>: I
> noticed lots of similar reports on g-p-m, and identified this bug as the
> underlying cause. I marked them all as duplicates and added information
> from other reports to parent report.
>
> I would give this bug Medium importance because it has a moderate effect
> on a core application; even though it's hardware-specific by the number
> of duplicates it seems to be pretty commonly experienced.

Agreed. Marking Triaged/Medium.

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/481312>:
> I messed up at first with this bug and thought it was a dupe of the
> above bug, but quickly realized my mistake. Since then, I have been
> working closely with those experiencing the bug and have gotten close to
> identifying the underlying problem. I think you can see my continued
> cordiality and appreciation with bug reporters, as well as my continued
> effort until the problem is resolved. (Note that as part of my effort
> here I updated and reorganized
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager> to be more helpful
> to reporters.)
>
> pvillavi already marked this bug with Low importance, which I agree with
> because it doesn't seem to affect much hardware.

Good work, even more with the upstreaming. I marked it triaged.

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/248870>:
> After experiencing this bug myself I reproduced using upstream packages
> and sent it upstream. Since then OO.org developers have reproduced it
> and confirmed the report.
>
> I would give this bug Low performance because, though OO.org is a core
> Ubuntu application, this bug is only an annoyance and only happens under
> a certain circumstance: when you have used the mousewheel to scroll off
> of the cursor's page.

Again excellent that you forwarded it upstream.

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/376793>: Here I
> worked with reporter and subscribers to 1) find out that it's an issue
> in Ubuntu kernels, and 2) politely fend off folks with
> similar-but-different issues.
>
> I disagree with the importance set here. I believe it should be Low
> because it only affects one laptop model and is easy to work around.

Good work and patience.

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/406515>: This bug
> report was a mess, with way too many tasks, many false-duplicates, and a
> vague title which attracted them. I cleaned it up and the bug is now
> Triaged and looks like it'll be fixed in Maverick. See comment #66 to
> see an example of where I needed to be tactful.
>
> Medium importance is valid here because it has a moderate effect on many
> laptops.

Agreed.

Only one observation: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description suggests
some ways for improving the bug description; you might want to consider
using it.

> Thank you all for considering me, and I will be happy to provide any
> more necessary information. Thanks!

The pleasure is ours :-) Certainly a

+1.

We will wait a bit for other possible analysis. Good work, and thank you
for helping.

Cheers,

..C..