Re: Application to Join Ubuntu Bug Control

On 08/05/2010 11:10 PM, Gursimran singh wrote:
> [...]
>              I am Gursimran singh Mohar
> (https://edge.launchpad.net/~simar). I am currently being mentored by
> Sense Hofstede for around a month now. Under his guidance and excellent
> support I adopted and started triaging bugs for
> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, later moving to kernel related touchpad
> bugs and covering all touchpad further. While triaging bugs related to
> touchpad I realised that there is no proper Debugging Procedure written
> for it, so I took a step forward and written it for the Ubuntu community.
>
> Now I have gained enough experience with the Ubuntu bug squad team, so I
> look forward to join ubuntu Bug Control team. For that I answer the
> following questions.
>
>    1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
>       to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>          1. ya, sure. I'm quite aware of the fact that Ubuntu Bug Squad
>             and Ubuntu Bug Control is the face of the ubuntu community
>             that interfaces with end users and developers, so I'm sure,
>             that how to deal with ubuntu users.
>    2.
>
>       Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>, Bugs/Assignment
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment>, Bugs/Status
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status> and Bugs/Importance
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance>? Do you have any
>       questions about that documentation?
>
>          1. ya, no questions.
>    3.
>
>       What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
>       report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage> for more information.
>
>          1.
>
>              We should not mark any bug public that contains
>             CoreDump.gz. Either we should remove this attachment if
>             stack track looks good.
>
>          2. If the bug report contain Stacktrace.txt, this may include
>             passwords, credit card numbers and other sensitive data,
>             which may have passed as function arguments and logged. So
>             we need to check for this data before marking the bug report
>             as public, or we may wish to keep it private throughout the
>             lifespan of the bug.
>
>    4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>       interested in helping out with?
>          1. As I mentioned I have work for touchpad bugs, I would like
>             to continue with it. Meanwhile I look forward to triage bugs
>             with JFo for Kernel. I have talked to JFo about this in
>             #ubuntu-kernel. For the same currently I am reading
>             documentation of Kernel Triage.
>
>    5. Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
>       should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and
>       how to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that
>       does not have an importance indicate what importance (and explain
>       the reasoning) you would give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu
>       Bug Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.

Good work

>          2. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/554980
>                1. Importance - Low
>                2. As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon
>                   hardware'.

Good work at getting the information and at staying calm ;)

>          3. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/565543

ok, getting a full Xorg.0.log would have made things easier though as
chris pointed out. Also before assigning bugs to the kernel it helps to
at least get the boot dmesg output IMHO. (Check out
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelTeamBugPolicies to see what
they want as minimum info on a report)

>          4. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/159968
>                1. Importance - Low
>                2. As this 'Ones that affect unusual configurations or
>                   uncommon hardware' and affect a few people.

good work so far

>          5. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/462166
>                1. Improtance - Low
>                2. As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon
>                   hardware' only affects in Synaptics Touchpad version
>                   7.2 and is due to the fact that Synaptics is not
>                   willing to disclose its multitouch protocol.

>From what I know about touchpads (which isn't that much tbh.) this is a
very hw-specific bug, so I think you're right there. Considering that
and the fact that the original reporter unsubscribed you did a rather
good job. (Please refrain from comments like #28 though, at least to me
that sounds a bit offensive)

Still a +1 from me since you also do a great job on the debugging
documentation.