Re: Application to Join Ubuntu Bug Control

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Sense Hofstede <sense@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5 August 2010 23:10, Gursimran singh <simar.i3r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Ubuntu Bug Control Team,
> >              I am Gursimran singh Mohar (
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~simar <https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Esimar>).
> > I am currently being mentored by Sense Hofstede for around a month now.
> > Under his guidance and excellent support I adopted and started triaging
> bugs
> > for xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, later moving to kernel related touchpad
> > bugs and covering all touchpad further. While triaging bugs related to
> > touchpad I realised that there is no proper Debugging Procedure written
> for
> > it, so I took a step forward and written it for the Ubuntu community.
> Very good! People contributing to writing our knowledge down in
> documentation are very welcome and much needed.
>
>  Thanks, although writing documentation take a bit more energy and time but
I think it really deserves it. I discussed it with triagers and upstream
developers and this made me even more clear on debugging. Moreover this will
serve as a good copy even for my reference, later in future.

> > Now I have gained enough experience with the Ubuntu bug squad team, so I
> > look forward to join ubuntu Bug Control team. For that I answer the
> > following questions.
> >
> > Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you
> or
> > Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> >
> > ya, sure. I'm quite aware of the fact that Ubuntu Bug Squad and Ubuntu
> Bug
> > Control is the face of the ubuntu community that interfaces with end
> users
> > and developers, so I'm sure, that how to deal with ubuntu users.
> >
> > Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> > Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
> >
> > ya, no questions.
> >
> > What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report
> bug
> > before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.
> >
> >  We should not mark any bug public that contains CoreDump.gz. Either we
> > should remove this attachment if stack track looks good.
> >
> > If the bug report contain Stacktrace.txt, this may include passwords,
> credit
> > card numbers and other sensitive data, which may have passed as function
> > arguments and logged. So we need to check for this data before marking
> the
> > bug report as public, or we may wish to keep it private throughout the
> > lifespan of the bug.
> Alright. Make sure to look in ThreadStacktrace files as well, and
> especially xsession-errors.txt files, when attached. The XSession
> errors file is one of the files that is most likely to contain
> sensitive data.

I make note of it, unfortunately I did not find this in documentation. I
refered this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage#Apport%20crash%20reports. Please
let me know, if there exist some other link that contain this information,
as I understand the importance of this sensitive information handling so I
want to get very clear on this.

page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/simar/

> > Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs should
> > demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to properly
> > handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have an
> importance
> > indicate what importance (and explain the reasoning) you would give it
> after
> > becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list of
> > bugs.
> >

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/591656
> No importance given here. Any reason for that?
> The triaging here looks good in general.

Because the imporance is already set and I agree with it. Still for giving
reasons.
Importance - Low
Reason - As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'.

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/554980
> >
> > Importance - Low
> > As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'.
> >
> Agreed with the chosen importance.
>
> This was the bug where I intervened on Gursimran's request after one
> of the persons being affected by the bug refused to accept Gursimran's
> triaging choice and really wanted us to somehow temporary fix this bug
> by enabling multi-touch emulation via changes to a global
> configuration file.

I had talked about this upstream on the reporter's request but did not get
any response. I will try to follow this again.

> > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/565543
> Again no importance. Why?

Importance - High
Reason - As the bug is located in all vaio E series laptop that has a ALPS
touchpad and they are not able to use any of their touchpad features like
tapping, scrolling, etc

'Has a severe impact on a small portion of Ubuntu users (estimated)'

> Triaging handled well here, especially considering that the issue
> turned out to be more complex that it seemed at first. (You've really
> chosen a complicated area to start. ;)) Good to let the reporter know
> when there hasn't been a response for a reasonable amount of time.
> I assume you're waiting for Chris Halse Rogers to continue with this bug?

ya, for that I have subscribed Chris by using Subscribe Someone else. Only
recently I noticed this feature and made use of it. :)  . Yes indeed it was
a complicated start, limited type of problems but hard, so I will make my
way forward to kernel and a desktop application as soon as my ubuntu bug
control application is accepted.

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/159968
> >
> > Importance - Low
> > As this 'Ones that affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'
> and
> > affect a few people.
> >
> I agree with the importance you chose.
> Good start here with the triaging. You're gathering information nicely
> and you demonstrate here that you learned a bit about the touchpads
> during your student period. Be careful with promising patches, though,
> as users might expect working solutions available for them sooner than
> what will actually happen. ;)

ya, i will be only promising patches when I mean it from next time onwards.
This was the start of my triaging experience since I have learnt a lot of
these things and is still learning :)

> Curious, why did you change the status to In Progress about an hour
> ago? That is not a status used when a bug is still being triaged.
> Instead we use Incomplete or Confirmed when the triaging isn't
> completed yet. 'In Progress' is used when someone is working on a
> _fix_ for the bug.
> I assume you're still working on this bug.

ya, my mistake :(

> > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/462166
> >
> > Improtance - Low
> > As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware' only affects
> in
> > Synaptics Touchpad version 7.2 and is due to the fact that Synaptics is
> not
> > willing to disclose its multitouch protocol.
> Agreed with the importance.
>
> However, it seems that this bug wasn't really triaged by you, but
> instead you were on of the people being triaged. I don't think this
> can serve as an example of your recent triaging work. You were mostly
> answering questions from someone else here.
> Please do note that this John Baptist isn't a real Ubuntu developer.
> He might know a lot about touchpads, but we might not want to let him
> triage Ubuntu bugs if he remains uninvolved in the Bug Squad. If he is
> interested in working on bug triaging, please point him to the Ubuntu
> Bug Squad and the mentoring programme. Otherwise I think it is not a
> desirable situation to have him making it appear he is triaging bug
> reports, which also occurred in other reports.
>

> Bug triagers are Ubuntu's face to a part of the community, and people
> often look to them to know how, if and when a bug will be fixed. If
> someone adopts the style and wording of a triager when talking about
> fixes, but isn't a triager this might work confusing and create
> incorrect expectations with users.
>
> I had tried to explain him about this but he's not patient and is too
arrogant to listen these things. Still I tried to be polite with him

> Although I do think that you are qualified for Ubuntu Bug Control
> membership I can't say yes yet. First I would like to see at least one
> other, different bug report you triaged yourself, replacing your last
> link. If you could please reply with such a link and with the
> importance you would give to the first two bugs on your list of five
> without importance I think you're ready for Ubuntu Bug Control.

Here's another bug that I triaged
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/403585
Importance - low
Reason - As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'.

Although this bug is a possible duplicate of Bug
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/308191but
I will not mark it as duplicate until the I can confirm by looking
some
confirmation logs that it is infact the same problem.

> However, I will be leaving for a two-week holiday tomorrow morning,
> this email is my last before the holiday, actually, so I won't be able
> to confirm this application in person before Saturday 21 August. That
> would be a bit late, so I think that I give the green light when the
> conditions mentioned above are met. Someone else from Ubuntu Bug
> Control can verify that this week already, so you don't have to wait
> two weeks.
>
> As soon as that is done you're no longer my student, but an Ubuntu Bug
> Control member!

:((((( I was not told about this. Still I'm happy we will continue as good
friends now onwards.