Re: Bug Control Team application

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:52:13PM +0200, Roth Robert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> *https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/658618 - This is a
> >> valid bug, with enough information to reproduce and upstream task
> >> attached, and it is ready to be worked on, so it should be Triaged.
> >> The importance should be Low, as it is an easy-to-fix cosmetic issue.
> >
> > This looks good to me and I agree with the importance.  However, the
> > fixability of a bug should not be a factor in the importance.  Critical
> > bugs can have easy fixes too.
>
> My question here would be then: what does then the "Ones that can be
> easily worked around" sentence in the Low importance description on
> the importance page refer to (if it is not related to the fixability
> of the bug) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance)?

For lack of a better word it refers to a bug report that can be easily
worked around by doing something different.  While not the best example
http://launchpad.net/bugs/727410 is the closest one I have at hand.
The reporter indicates they can work around by choosing the Classic
Desktop environment instead of the Unity environment.  So they've
worked around the bug and but not fixed it.  Perhaps that line could be
elaborated on?  Something like:

"One that can easily be worked around by doing something different"

What do you think?

> > I don't see any work that you've done on this bug report - I always
> > thought people would send in bug reports that they've worked on but
> > maybe it is not clear on the application.  What do you think?
> >
> > I agree that it can be set to Triaged though.  With regards to the
> > importance because this is a regression I think the importance should be
> > bumped to Medium though.
>
> You are right that I haven't done anything on that bug. Regarding the
> wiki page: it says in a list, item 4 that I need to demonstrate that I
> : "Have a list of triaged bugs that demonstrate you understand
> triaging." - This doesn't necessarily imply that I had to do anything
> on the bugs, It should be enough to find bugs that are not yet Triaged
> but are ready to be Triaged as they contain all the necessary
> information.

Ah!  Thanks for pointing this out.

> Reading further in the things to include in the application letter :
> "Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged and include an
> explanation of your Triage. Please note that these bugs should be
> representative of your very best work and they should demonstrate your
> understanding of the triage process and how to properly handle bugs.
> For all the bugs in the list, please indicate what importance (and
> explain the reasoning) you would give it after becoming a member of
> the Ubuntu Bug Control team."
>
> I haven't really taken this into account, because I have a huge list
> of bugs, and most of them already have an Importance and are in
> Triaged or Fix Committed/Released statuses, thus I didn't see any
> reason why I should list them in the application letter, and found a
> huge task to find the most representative 5. I hope this still is OK
> to demonstrate that I understand the Bug Triaging Process. :)

I think this as a result of the fact that triaging can mean the whole
bug life cycle or the process of getting a bug to the Triaged bug
status.  I'm of the opinion that bugs you've touched that already in
Triaged, Fix Committed/Released statuses are the ones we really want to
see as those are the ones that have progressed the furthest in the bug
life cycle - not just bugs that should be set to Triaged.  So maybe the
wording should be:

"Have a list of bug reports that you have worked on and that demonstrate
that you understand the bug triaging process."

However, one issue we have encountered in the past is applicants just
presenting bugs they've fixed.  Which isn't really what we are looking
for either.

And yes you've demonstrated that you understand the bug triaging
process!

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master