Re: Application

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the application. Please see my comments below.

On 05/09/2011 02:07 AM, Steve wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Bug Control Team,
>
>    1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
>       to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
>              Yes, I have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and will
> always maintain a professional attitude when trying to gain more
> information regarding a bug or when working in any situation involving
> members despite whatever attitude they may carry.
>
>    1.
>
>       Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>, Bugs/Assignment
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment>, Bugs/Status
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status> and Bugs/Importance
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance>? Do you have any
>       questions about that documentation?
>
>       I have read the guides on how to handle bugs and have no questions
>       regarding the documentation.
>
>    2.
>
>       What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
>       report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage
>       <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage> for more information.
>
>       Stack traces and core dumps that are packed in apport can contain
>       sensitive info on occasion. Some examples of sensitive information
>       that could make its way into stacktraces via passed arguments are:
>       bank account numbers, CSS keys, usernames, server names, and much
>       more. I will make sure to treat anything marked private as private.

Note that it is hard to find whether core dumps have personal
information, so you should treat them as if they _always_ have sensitive
information in them.

>    3. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>       interested in helping out with?
>
>             I will work wherever there is work needed and where I'm able
> to recreate and test bugs :-)
>
>    1.
>
>       Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
>       include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these
>       bugs should be representative of your very best work and they
>       should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and
>       how to properly handle bugs. For *all* the bugs in the list,
>       please indicate what importance you would give it (*and* explain
>       the reasoning) after becoming a member of the Ubuntu Bug Control
>       team. /Please use urls in your list of bugs./
>
>       Here are five bugs I have participated in:
>
>       https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/xchat/+bug/13378
>
>       This bug was already confirmed for Debian by a fellow member and I
>       attempted to recreate the issue in Ubuntu, I left feedback in the
>       bug and asked for more information regarding the setup of the user
>       as I was not able to recreate it myself.  This was one of the
>       first bugs I've worked with. I will further test this bug and
>       attempt to recreate it once I get a VM setup with Kubuntu.

You had a very minor role in this bug; I don't think it's an example of
your best work.

>       https://bugs.launchpad.net/evince/+bug/24630
>
>       I was able to provide a comment on this bug and say that it was
>       not affecting my system after testing in multiple scenarios. But I
>       presume that my setup is not exact to the others involved as
>       multiple people have confirmed it, so my feedback may not be
>       necessary in the long run of solving this bug.

As you say, your comment might not be valuable since you've never been
able to reproduce the bug. Also not an example of your best work.

>       https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/779617
>
>       I marked this bug as incomplete, although information was included
>       with the bug, there was not enough to conclude if the issue was
>       Skype or Ubuntu, and I requested further details regarding the
>       webcam make/model. I decided on asking for more as having more
>       information on the hardware could help in a case where someone
>       else has the same device and could attempt to recreate the bug.

You did the right thing here, but nothing has happened in the bug since,
so I wouldn't consider this a successful triage yet.

>       https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/notify-osd/+bug/779612
>
>       I confirmed this bug as an issue by testing it myself and left
>       notes with a possible related bug. Also followed up with the
>       reporter on Google Talk to let them know it has been confirmed and
>       directed them back to the bug. I was able to successfully confirm
>       this bug is re-creatable and should be fixed.

OK, but I would be careful not to confuse a bug report with possibly
unrelated symptoms.

>       https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/773098
>
>       I confirmed this bug was related to LibreOffice and not Gnome or
>       Unity as I tested in both scenarios. I left my comments in the
>       bug. Others gave a workaround and I was able to recreate the
>       scenario in Unity and Gnome without it successfully docking.

Good, but you didn't really explain how you determined the issue. In the
bug description, it clearly says that switching from Metacity to Unity
activates the issue. Is that not true for you?

>       I only have little involvement in the Ubuntu community as it is
>       currently in regards to bug control, but I come from a background
>       in Android development where I have worked with others
>       professionally in solving and diagnosing issues with devices and
>       software. I promise to be professional in day to day activities
>       involving bugs and QA. If you have any further questions regarding
>       my application feel free to email me at this address:
>       steven.richardspc@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:steven.richardspc@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>       Best Regards,
>
> --
> Steven Richards
> steven.richardspc@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:steven.richardspc@xxxxxxxxx>
> gpg: 3104R/A634DA1D
> lp: https://launchpad.net/~steven.richards
> irc: Captainkrtek

I think you have not been triaging long enough to be a member of bug
control. The work you included here is mostly pretty basic: just
confirming some bugs from your own experience and marking others
incomplete. It would be better to see bugs that you triaged through the
whole process with more interaction with the reporter.

You also did not include Importance ratings.

Please apply again after you have more experience and include examples
that really show exemplary work.

Thanks,
David