Application to Bug-control

Hi,
  I'm Dave Gilbert - aka lp user ubuntu-treblig aka penguin42 on freenode.
I'd like to apply for membership of bug-control.

I've been triaging bugs on #ubuntu-bugs for some years, and joined
bug-squad last year.  I've been contributing fixes to various
FOSS packages for well over a decade
(see http://www.treblig.org/patches/patch.html)

While I don't grind a pile of bugs out every day, I tend to take a few
at weekends and more when I'm holiday; or really try and follow it
through on a problem I can reproduce or is affecting me.

1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes and yes (and also the contributors agreement).

2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes - no questions immediately but I know to ask
when I'm in doubt.

3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.

Passwords, personal data, credit cards etc - blobs of data that might contain
the above (e.g. core dumps).

4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are interested in helping out with?

I've done some kernel debugging in the past, but have also
poked about in quite a few places.  I tend to be interested in
spotting similar bugs and grouping them, or worrying patterns among
multiple users/packages.  I'm also up for taking a
debugger to an odd seg fault and tracking it down.

5. Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs should be representative of your very best work and they should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to properly handle bugs. For all the bugs in the list, please indicate what importance you would give it and explain the reasoning. Please use urls in your list of bugs.

   Asked other reporters for hardware information to narrow down it
    didn't seem to be hardware specific.
   Found and fixed the bug in the kernel
   Updated external bug tracker to indicate it wasn't an upstream issue

   'Medium' - severe impact (hang) on an app that's non-core

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/560306
   I reported this bug after finding a pattern of users reporting a
    fault on ubuntu+1, and walked them through workarounds.

   I'd have given it a 'critical' given it gave users a black screen
   for a growing group of users.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/636329
   Reported the bug upstream, took the fix from upstream,
tested it, cooked a PPA of it
   Updated description as per requirements for SRU.

   Medium - it's arguable how severe the breakage is and
   how hard it would be to workaround; but I think it's
   a severe breakage to non-core.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bsdmainutils/+bug/693499
   Confirmed I could reproduce it and marked as confirmed
   Found and patched problem - also added note that upstream
    probably also fixed it.
   Checked upstream version and gave a workaround to the reporter

   I'd agree with the low - it's a minor bug in a non-critical app;
   although if it turned out to be breaking scripts based upon it
   I could see an argument for medium.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/677955
   Reproduced the bug and confirmed it (should probably
      marked it triaged)

   'low' because it's an easy workaround (even though it's
   a crash on a core app).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vte/+bug/501414
   Confirmed that I could reproduce it (and marked as confirmed)
   Reported upstream bug
   Added comment saying that it was fixed in a future upstream

   High - crash of gnome-terminal is a severe impact on a core
     app (probably for a small subset of users triggering it).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/353453
   Asked user to provide more detail on the original report
   Asked user to retry original package
   Marked fixed released

   I agree with the low, but it could be argued as a Medium given
   that at the time I think Rhythmbox was core and once it had
   stacked up a lot of processes it got pretty unresponsive
   or I think crashed which would be a moderate impact (only
   did that after quite a while).

Dave

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /

Follow ups