Re: Bug Control Application

On 15-09-2011 21:54, kurt belgrave wrote:
> * i was not sure if to respond or not, so just my two cents for
> now. It seems like most of my best work, never ended up with a
> triaged bug though, alot of the times the bug would end up being
> invalid after all that work, and i did not want to put those.
> Maybe if i can find a bug or two of better quality to impress you
> guys more.

Heh. There is no problem, at least for me, if a bug ends
INVALID/EXPIRED/WONTFIX/whatever. Triage work is still triage work
no matter how the bug ends up. There are some cases where the issue
is so confusing that nothing can be said about the validity of the
bug until times passes, and more data is collected and analysed. You
*may* have a stupendous triage work that ended INVALID. This is OK.

What we want to see if if you understand triaging for Ubuntu, and
triaging per se. Both of them. The end result may be a real bug, an
invalid one, and/or updates to our triaging/debugging documentation.
But you *did* triage the bug.

> About the private bugs, if the bugs are private and only members
> of bug control can see them,

(just a detail) Bug Control does not have access to all private bugs.

> how would us as not being members find those bugs to work on in
> the first place. I really have not seen a bug report that has
> coredump.gz attached to it anyways, So i am wondering how would we
> get experience in triaging private bugs if we can not see them in
> the first place.

My fault. The point I actually wanted to make -- and failed
miserably... -- is that if you see a public bug with a coredump
attachment, consider making the bug private again (and add a comment
on why you did so). On eventual private bugs you get to access,
verify if a coredump.gz is attached and, if so, do not make the bug
public until the time where no coredump is still attached.

Also, a bug is a bug, be it private or public. You triage them the
same way (except that on private bugs you have to consider if they
should be kept private or not, and how to ask for help, if needed:
you cannot disclose, publicly, private data...).

> I thought that we would get experience with them after joining bug
> control but i may of missed a thing or two.

It is actually the other way around: you join Bug Control *because*
you are experienced on Ubuntu triaging ;-)

Cheers,

..C..