Re: Odd status changes on bug 804662

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:28:23AM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> I was asked by Logan_ on #ubuntu-bugs to remove the assignee and
> change the status back :
>
> (01:13:13) Logan_: Can somebody change the status of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/804662 to "Confirmed" (and remove the assigned person)?
> (01:13:14) ubot2: Launchpad bug 804662 in jockey "jockey-gtk crashed with TypeError in _execute_child(): execv() arg 2 must contain only strings" [Undecided,Fix released]
> (01:13:46) Logan_: It was incorrectly marked as Fix Released by a newbie, and someone assigned it to himself randomly, and I can't change the values back.
>
> On investigation it looks a bit odd; there have been lots of status
> changes in a short time, all by users who've existed for only
> a few days/weeks, all with 0 karma, and membership of no groups.
>
> I can't quite see why - it feels spammy but maybe there is a sane
> explanation.

I believe this happens because Launchpad does not do a good job of
explaining what bug terms (status, assignee, importance) mean.  Then
when you have a bug with lots of duplicates or users affected those
people are trying to help but don't know how Launchpad works.  This
results in strange changes to statuses and assignees.  I don't believe
there was an malicious intent.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master